This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

My Reaction to the Commencement 2014 Letter

by Morgan Gibbons

Ever since I was a little kid, I have always gotten excited when something comes in the mail for me.  I have warmly received birthday cards, catalogs from my favorite stores and postcards from friends and family over the years.  As I move into adulthood, I am sure this enthusiasm will fade as bills start making their monthly appearance.  One piece of mail that I recently received that is really testing the line between enthusiasm and disbelief was from our very own Boston College.

After interning in Boston for the summer, I finally came home for two weeks to the simple suburbs of New Jersey to be spoiled by the comforts of home.  Walking into my kitchen after a tiring six hour drive home was this piece of mail, in plain view, that could not be missed and truly woke me up: Right on the cover, in bold, all-caps formal typing “COMMENCEMENT 2014.” …wait, WHAT?!

Of course the letter was just more of a “save the date” card with a schedule of events for commencement weekend, but still May 19, 2014 is now a legitimate date in my parents datebook that is featuring yours truly in a cap and gown.

Well, there it is folks; no denying it now.  I am officially in my last year at my beloved BC.  How do I feel about this?  That is the hot question that I am trying to figure out myself.  Of course I am excited to be a senior; the top of the totem pole where I can take great classes, maneuver the Mods with confidence and finesse and honestly just call myself a senior.  I am so excited to spend the last year at the school I love with friends I love, in an area I love, watching sports I love, drinking at bars I love, and learning in a major that I love (Ever think you could use love that many times in one sentence?  When you feel the way I do about my time at BC, it is easy!).  So many exciting things are going to happen in the next nine months of my life that make me so excited to finally move in on August 30th and start my last year, creating plenty of memories along the way.  Commencement also means graduation and on to the “real world,” which I am looking forward to making my mark in after years of hard work.

On the other hand, I am also anxious to end my time as a student – a role I have comfortably conquered and handled for the past sixteen years of my life.  Without a job lined up or the steadfast assurance of how to handle graduate school, I am also nervous about what the future holds for me.  Even for those of you who do have a direct path, I am sure there is a sense of apprehension of where you are going next and what the job, classes or time off will hold.  We will be entering into positions where we will be held more accountable for our own actions and where there is less security in dating, friendship, jobs and finances than ever before.  And as the typical college kid, one can only wonder how our bank accounts will hold up.

I am sure that many of my fellow Class of 2014 classmates are feeling similar sentiments right now.  Do you get this feeling in your stomach that is a mix of excitement, anxiety, nervousness, and anticipation when you think about what the next two semesters and beyond hold for you?  I will admit it, I surely do!  And let’s be honest, that is okay.  I am not going to be in denial about my senior year and knowing my time at BC is limited.  Instead, I will take this piece of mail and embrace it with the same excitement I did as a six-year-old girl getting the “American Girl Doll” catalog before Christmas: excitement and enthusiasm!  If we only have nine months left at the school we love, then lets make them the best nine months to conclude a time full of great memories.  Good luck BC Class of 2014, let’s get ready to conquer the Heights and beyond!

Photo Credits:

www.laxmagazine.com

www.finance.yahoo.com

www.ecards.com

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum