Meet Music Lover Kristin McAlpin!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Meet Kristin, the sophomore who thinks picking a favorite type of music is almost as hard as choosing a favorite Kardashian.  This Miami native is far from home, but the distance is nothing for this world-traveler.  This cutie plans to study abroad and hopes for any career that involves traveling.

Basic Info
Name: Kristin McAlpin                                                                                 
Class: A&S ‘14
Major: Political Science, International Studies minor
Hometown: Miami, Florida

BC
Activities: Club Equestrian team, Student Admissions Program, and I host a WZBZ radio show once a week (it’s a music station – I can talk if I want but it’s usually just about the bands)
Best Class: This semester I’m in Intro to International Politics with Robert Ross.  He’s a fun professor; I really love the class.
Worst Class: Last semester I was in Living Earth.  It was tortuous for an hour and a half to sit and listen about earthquakes…definitely not one of my favorites.
Favorite dining hall food: (long hesitation as she glanced disappointedly around Lower) Don’t have one.
Favorite spot on campus: I like the quad and Bapst

This or That
Bapst or O’Neill? Bapst, obvi.
Football or hockey? Football, for sure.
Single or taken: Single.
Facebook or Twitter: Ooh tough one, I guess Twitter. It’s more entertaining to read what celebrities say, not just your friends.
Winter break or summer vacation: Also tough.  I guess summer – this summer I’m going to South Africa with study abroad, I’m really excited!
Spending Junior year abroad or in Chestnut Hill: Next spring I’m hopefully going to Barcelona (nothing’s set in stone, though).

Fun Facts
Favorite type of music: I really like the band M83, the song Abducted by Colts, and I’m a Goner by Matt & Kim with Soulja Boy.
Pet peeve: Ooh, okay (no hesitation with this one), when people pretend they don’t know you and always look away or don’t say hi. And people who wear sweatpants in public. (It’s not that hard to put on real pants!)
Guilty pleasure: Sometimes I watch entire seasons of TV shows in one day. (I watched two seasons of Breaking Bad in like 18 hours.)
Favorite movie: The Year of Living Dangerously, and I’m so excited for the Hunger Games to come out. I haven’t even seen it yet but I know it’ll be a close second!
Dream vacation: My mom works for Delta so we travel a lot. Probably the best trip I’ve been on was when we went to Kenya on a safari; it was gorgeous!
Dream job: Something I love going to and get excited to do, and hopefully something where I get to travel.
Celebrity crush: Ewan McGregor, and as a girl I think I’m legally obligated to say Ryan Gosling.
Celebrity girl crush: I like Charlize Theron a lot.
Most embarrassing song on your iPod: I have a thing for show tunes, so I have like all of Rent, Jersey Boys, Spring Awakening, …
Valentine’s day plans: No plans yet – I think the ideal would be just getting coffee and talking (about books, movies, the us [as in short for usual, this girl is into abbrevs]).
Thoughts on the Superbowl: Don’t really care about either of those teams

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.