Making the Most of Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Well hello there BC, long time, no see. For the past four months, I have been calling the beautiful land of Scotland home while studying at the University of Glasgow, but now I am back in Boston and ready to take on the spring semester. You could say I’m definitely experiencing a bit of reverse culture shock back in the States and it still hasn’t hit me that I won’t be returning to Glasgow this semester. All of these non-British accents are seriously throwing me off and I keep forgetting that it’s now normal to see people in Red Sox hats and Bruins jerseys.

I’m really excited to be back on the Heights, but part of me wishes I was going back to Scotland for another term. I am pretty envious of my friends heading off to their abroad placements this spring, knowing that they are going to have incredible experiences in their respective countries. I was definitely homesick when I first arrived in the UK, but after about a month I learned to let go of my apprehensiveness and make the most of my semester abroad. Here’s the top five ways to make the most out of your study abroad experience.

1. Travel

One of the things I was most excited about when studying abroad was having the opportunity to travel. Regardless of where you are studying, you really have the ability to explore a variety of places that are fairly accessible. Make a list of your top spots and go explore! Don’t forget to travel within the country where you are studying, as well. Some of my favorite places I visited while in Scotland were just an hour or so away by bus, so don’t overlook nearby destinations. 

One of my favorite places, Edinburgh, was just an hour away from my university in Glasgow.

2. Say yes to everything (within reason)

While studying abroad, get out of your comfort zone. Take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself and do not be afraid to try new things. Join a completely random club or try the local delicacies. You may find a new passion and, at the very least, you can add it to your catalog of “abroad stories” to share when you return. With that being said, use your common sense and steer clear of sketchy situations you could fall into.

3. Meet new people

Make sure you share this time with people who only enhance your experience. Get to know your fellow BC students in your program as well as the natives. Whether you befriend students from your classes in your new country or get to know the local grocer on a first name basis, these people can offer great insight about your new home. It can’t hurt to have a friend or acquaintance familiar with the area.

4. Record your experience

Whether you take pictures on your phone, update a blog regularly, or simply keep a personal journal, you will want a way to relive your memories from this time for years to come. While I was in Scotland, I wrote a blog that I tried to post on somewhat periodically. Since I have been back, I have reread the entire thing at least twice, just trying to relive the glory days. It definitely can’t hurt to snap some pictures from your semester, whether you are meandering the streets of Paris or simply walking home from class on a Thursday afternoon. Plus I’m sure your parents will appreciate a photo every so often from your adventures.

5. Wherever you are, be all there

This is a big one. It can be really hard to leave everything you’ve come to know and love back here at BC. Saying goodbye to friends, family, significant others, and our beautiful campus in general can be tough. I definitely struggled with this myself. Just remember that it will all be here when you get back. In order to get the total experience while you’re away, BE away. Don’t distract yourself with what everyone at home is doing or you might miss out on something right in front of you. Mail postcards and send an obscene amount of Snapchats to your friends back in the US, but become a full-blooded member of your new university and host country. I promise you, the semester will fly, so cherish your time while you’re there.

To all of those going abroad this spring, enjoy it and we will miss you. And for all of those who are now returning to campus this term, welcome back! 

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum