This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.
Despite being incredibly grateful to be able to fill my plate with food three times a day, I have become sucked into the habit of declaring the food served in Mac as bland and unenjoyable. In the past, I could trek down to Lower or spend a couple of extra dollars on guac at Chipotle to avoid hopelessly giving into a plate of fries in Mac. Since the recent snowfall and closing of my beloved Chipotle, however, I have discovered two things more disappointing than an unsatisfying diet of oily fries – the million dollar stairs are definitely not heated, and the real price of guac is to sacrifice yourself to the norovirus Gods. I’ve come to terms with my realizations and have decided to embrace Mac to hopefully enjoy more than just the Mozz sticks I devour at Late Night. Listed below are some quick and simple recipes I have experimented with and would suggest to anybody else that fears the mystery meats of the campus gem, McElroy. 

Broken Ice Cream Sandwich
Ingredients required: 
  • 1 Cookie of your choice
  • Soft serve ice cream of your choice
  • Peanut butter (can be substituted with honey)
  • Thin cut bananas (can be substituted with another fruit) 
Preparation:
  1.  Acquire ingredients and large paper cereal container
  2. Crush cookie of choice at bottom of the container with a utensil
  3. Top crushed cookie with several dollops of peanut butter (yay protein!)
  4. Add several slices of thinly cut banana (or another fruit)
  5. Top with ice cream of choice
  6. Repeat step 4, 3, then 2
  7. Enjoy!
Mid-day Mozz Sticks 
Ingredients required:
  • Grilled cheese
  • Tomato sauce from pasta toss
  • Cheese of choice from salad bar
Preparation:
  1. Acquire ingredients
  2. Cut grilled cheese into strips
  3. Top with cheese of choice
  4. Reheat
  5. Dip in sauce
  6. Enjoy!
Chicken Satay  
Ingredients required: 
  • Peanut butter
  • Olive oil
  • Sriracha
  • Pepper/Salt
  • Grilled chicken
  • Edamame/Rice/Salad (optional tasty sides)
Preparation: 
  1. Acquire ingredients and condiment container
  2. Mix peanut butter, olive oil, and sriracha in container (add the sriracha little by little to control the heat)
  3. Add salt and pepper as needed
  4. Cut grilled chicken into strips
  5. Either spread the sauce on the chicken or dip as you go
  6. Top edamame, rice, or salad with chicken and leftover sauce
  7. Enjoy!

All of the recipes listed above are open to your own interpretation. If you have time between classes or at the end of the day, it’s easy to create meals out of ingredients that you may usually overlook. Until I can trust Chipotle again, come join me in Mac!

Sources:

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.