Lessons Learned from Bathroom Stalls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I’ve spent a lot of time in public bathrooms.  For one, I’m not one of those toilet snobs who refuse to use the powder room in a public place and two, like most girls, I have a small bladder.  One plus one equals a fair amount of time spent in the bathroom in Lower, in O’Neill, in bars across Boston, and even (once) the weird bathroom at the entrance of Walsh.  Over the years, I’ve realized that public bathroom stalls often get a bad rap.  Most of them are as clean as I could reasonably ask for and, even better, offer myriad quotes, poems, and phone numbers written on their metal walls.  Some of the most profound things I’ve ever read have been etched into the barriers or scribbled in sharpie on the doors across campus; here, I shall share with you some of my favorites.

O’Neill 2nd Floor

Just let the pee flow

Like thoughts onto fresh paper

Relief, a fresh start

I always use the same stall in O’Neill (TMI? IDC.) primarily because of the haiku written on the door.  It’s the perfect anecdote to the occasional stage fright, and even cures writer’s block!  To the author of this gem: thank you for your inspiration.  I cannot express my gratitude adequately enough. 

Cantab Lounge

As narsty as the ladies’ room is at Cantab, I can’t help but swoon over the bits of encouragement and profundity I continuously find slathered over its walls in gel pen, sharpie, and what could only be described as bodily fluid (I mean, when in Rome…).  My personal favorite hit me over the head like a ton of bricks one night as I was waiting for a comrade to finish her business: We begin to resent what we desire if it is not given to us.  The first time I read it, I almost cried.  So true!  So accurate!  That’s why I feel unexplainable rage towards men!  You stay classy, Cantab.

Undisclosed Location

I can’t disclose exactly where this nugget of nostalgia is located, but I’m sure someone will vibe with me and know exactly where it is.  There is a bumper sticker on the wall of this particular stall, somewhere in Boston, that reads I <3 Bunny D and the General.  You, general public, may not understand the significance of this particular sticker, but let me tell you, to me it represents years of friendship that cannot be thrown away, memories that I cannot and will not erase from my mind, and solidarity girlfriends that rivals that in Sex and the City.

Photo Source:

http://www.fromthebathroomwall…

Maddie is a senior at Boston College, where she spends her days fawning over literature and Art History textbooks. She was previously an editorial intern at Her Campus, and is now a HC contributing writer and blogger. Follow her on twitter @madschmitz for a collection of vaguely amusing tweets. 
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.