Kicking Off Relay for Life 2014: Passport to a Cure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The moment you have all been waiting for is finally here… IT’S KICK-OFF WEEK FOR RELAY FOR LIFE OF BOSTON COLLEGE!  The campus’ largest non-sports event will take place on March 28, 2014 at the Plex and we are ready to share the excitement with you.  With this year’s travel theme, we will take a journey to the destination of Hope to celebrate those who have won their battle with cancer, remember those we have lost, and fight back against the disease.  Please join us for one or all of the week’s activities.  Don’t forget your passport to a cure!

Here is the kick-off week schedule:

MONDAY:

• Map of the World– 11 a.m.- 3 p.m.: Stop by our world map in O’Neil Plaza and answer the question, “Where do you HOPE to go?”
  • Uphill Battle of a Cancer Patient up Million Dollar Stairs– Take the trek up the Million Dollar stairs to learn a little bit about the experience of a cancer patient.

TUESDAY:

• Dining Hall Night– Lower, Mac, and Stuart- 5-9 p.m.: Stop by tables in each dining hall at dinner for Relay info and to sign up!

WEDNESDAY:

• Bake Sale– Mac- 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.- Come purchase a delicious birthday cupcake and celebrate a world with more birthdays and less cancer! The sale is donation based and all proceeds go straight to Relay!
  • Surprise Luminaria– outside of Lower- 5:30 p.m.- 9 p.m.- Get a sneak peek at Luminaria, the most moving ceremony at Relay for Life.  

THURSDAY:

• Pink Day– Wear pink to raise awareness of breast cancer! (We know it’s not Wednesday!)
  • Event at Joshua Tree– 9 p.m.-12 p.m.- For tickets, contact Amanda Davis at adavis0625@gmail.com.

FRIDAY:

• Campus Purple Out– Check out all the Relay spirit on campus!
  • Mock Relay– outside of Mac between Mac and Upper- 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.- Stop by for our “tailgate” and see all of the fun activities Relay has to offer!

You can signup for Relay at relayforlife.org/BC.

Follow Relay on Facebook: BC Relay for Life, Twitter: RFLofBC, Instragram: BCRelayForLife

Hope you join us to Destination: Hope!

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum