Junior Year: It’s Complicated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I certainly came in to junior year with mixed feelings—most of my friends were going to be living off campus, with half of them studying abroad at some point during the year.  I had some serious trepidation about my impending social situation because not only was I going to be on campus, but I was also going to be an RA in Walsh. 

Myself and some other students who are RA’s on BC campus.

Needless to say, I had no idea what junior year had in store for me.  Upon arriving to campus—the reality had sunk in, my college career was halfway over.  It was a difficult reality to grapple with, and has made my relationship with junior year thoroughly complicated.

Being a junior on campus is certainly an interesting experience.  Grabbing dinner with people has become much more complicated than it used to be—my friends off campus will say “Well I have food that I have to cook at home” and my friends on campus will respond “I don’t really want to use my flex plan.”  Great, so I’m riding solo for dinner. 

Although I am potentially being borderline dramatic, I have begun to get used to life as a junior-on-campus-RA-person.  I really have the best of both worlds.  Although quoting Hannah Montana seems somewhat inappropriate considering where she is now, I really do feel as though my situation couldn’t be better.  On the weekends I can go to all of my friends houses and apartments off campus, on weekdays I get to see everyone during classes and the lunch hour, and at the end of the day I don’t have to travel further than Walsh to go home.

However, I certainly feel like less of an adult than my friends living off campus and with kitchens.  I don’t have to build in time in my life to head to the grocery store or to cook my meals.  I also still have the luxury of submitting a work order when there is an issue in my room, rather than having to take a trip to the home improvement store or google search for a local repairman.  Even though these are definitely added stresses, these real-life things people do most definitely burst the BC bubble, and prepare you for “the real world.”  Although I am not directly a part of this “real world” culture, I am definitely benefiting from my friends being a part of it.  Being able to make brunch for everyone in someone’s kitchen just feels right—I wonder how I survived in a forced triple.  

2000 Comm Ave Apartments, a distant off-campus apartment building many students live junior year

Everyone always said to me “junior year is just a weird time.”  I have to strongly disagree—junior year is seriously the best time.  Although I might no longer feel that way as senior year rounds the corner, I think junior year has its own advantages, and might prove to be the best year yet at Boston College.

Photo source:

http://www.bostonapartments.com/bulfinch/bulfinch-2000commonwealth.htm

Photo of BC RA’s and Elizabeth from Elizabeth LeRoux 

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better. 
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum