It’s a Deal Breaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Relationships are not easy.  Like everything else in life, they have their ups, downs and everything in between.  They take a lot of work, self-sacrifice, compromise, and patience.  Every person you date is not going to be Mr. Right, and you’re probably not going to just run into Prince Charming at the bar on a Thursday night.  Love at first sight in college?  Good luck with that.

The honeymoon stage of a new relationship is the best.  You can see no wrong in the person you’re dating and they see you as a perfect human, too.  Everything is going well.  Smooth sailing every day.  You don’t fight, you don’t argue, and no matter what you’re doing, you enjoy it.  But what happens when the novelty starts to wear off and you start to really get to know your prince?

Not so charming any more, is he?  You might find some little things about him that tick you off, but those are no big deal.  True love and relationships are about accepting your partner with all his flaws, right?  But what about the bigger things… you know, the ones you really can’t ignore?

Those are the deal breakers.  No matter how hard you try, you can’t get over them.  You’ve given him chance after chance.  You’ve talked to him and let him know that something he’s doing bothers you, but he doesn’t change it.  So what now?

Maybe it’s time for a break.  If you are really that uncomfortable with a guy once you get to know him better, then you should never settle.

Last Fall, HC BC surveyed girls on campus for their personal deal breakers.  Here are some of the most common relationship deal breakers:

• Laziness
  • Smoking
  • A guy who isn’t kind to his family
  • Drinking too much
  • Being a violent drunk
  • Being disrespectful

• Lacking a sense of chivalry
  • A guy who is a different person around you than he is with his guy friends
  • Lack of ambition
  • A guy who doesn’t put any effort into a relationship
  • A married guy
  • A complete flirt
  • A guy who doesn’t love or respect his family (especially his own mother)

So keep your eyes peeled for these and never, ever settle.  Keep your standards high and your expectations realistic and you’ll be much happier in your search for love.

Photo Sources:
http://www.lipglossculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/bad-date-drunk-guy-too-much-to-drink.jpg
http://maxcdn.fooyoh.com/files/attach/images/591/401/665/004/lazy-guy-on-coach.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.