How to Throw a Bangin’ New Years Eve Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Collegiettes™, the countdown has begun.  Classes have ended and the semester is coming to a close.  As we say goodbye to BC for a month or so, we also say goodbye to the year 2011 and hello to 2012!  So what are your plans this New Year’s?  We all want to bring in the New Year the right way, and maybe these tips will give you some ideas on how to celebrate this New Year’s Eve.

1.  Make it themed.  Everyone loves costume parties.  Bring in the New Year with a themed party this year—go all out with costumes and decorations.  It automatically makes any party more fun.

2.  SPARKLES.  Glitter always makes a comeback during the holiday season, so wear that sequin dress that’s been hanging in your closet all year.  Don’t be afraid to be dazzling.

3.  Festive Cocktails: Of course, no New Year’s celebration is complete without a champagne toast.  But spice up your New Year’s Party this year with some other festive drinks!

Champagne Peach Punch:

3 (11.5 oz.) cans peach nectar
1 (6 oz.) can frozen orange juice concentrate
¼ cup lemon juice
½ cup peach brandy
¼ cup grenadine syrup
1 (32 fluid oz.) bottle carbonated water
3 (750 mL) bottles champagne

And if you’re feeling really creative…Homemade Eggnog:

1 cup brandy
½ cup sherry wine
½ cup Jamaican rum
½ cup whiskey
12 eggs, separated
¾ cup white sugar
1 quart whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
1 quart vanilla ice cream, for serving
1 tablespoon freshly grated ground nutmeg, for garnish

To make the eggnog:
Place the egg yolks and whites into 2 separate bowls.  Beat just the yolks first.  Beat in the sugar, then the liquor mixture (brandy, sherry, rum, and whiskey).  Then add the milk and heavy cream.  In the separate bowl, beat the whites until soft peaks form, and then fold them into the milk mixture.  Refrigerate 5-10 days.  To serve, whisk the mixture and add a quart of a vanilla ice cream.  Garnish with nutmeg, and enjoy!

4.  Karaoke.  Karaoke parties are always a great time.  Especially when you’ve had a few cocktails of these cocktails.  Who doesn’t love a bunch of people pretending they’re the next American Idol?

5.  Party Playlist.  Even if you aren’t doing karaoke, you’re going to need some music.  Make a fun party playlist that everyone can dance to.

6.  Finger FoodsDon’t forget to provide your guests with some food to go with your delicious cocktails.  Try these easy recipes that are sure to be a hit.

Sliders:

Ground beef (6 oz. makes 3 burgers)
Pinch of salt
Swiss cheese
Pickles
Onions
Ketchup
Mini potato buns

For every 3 sliders, mix 6 ounces of ground beef with a big pinch of salt, and divide it into three 2-oz. balls that form ¾ inch-thick patties.  Cook the burgers 3 minutes per side in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Top with some Swiss cheese, pickles, onions, ketchup, and serve on mini potato buns.

And for dessert…Double-Chocolate Snowquakes:

1 ½ cups flour
¾ cup dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups chocolate chips
1 cup confectioner’s sugar

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt and set aside.  Mix butter in a separate bowl, add sugars (except confectioner’s), eggs, and vanilla.  Mix in the flour mixture until it forms a soft dough. Add chocolate chips, then chill for 1 hour.  When the dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  For each cookie, shape one tablespoon of the dough into a ball, roll in confectioner’s sugar and place them 2 inches apart on baking pans.  Bake 10-12 minutes until cookies have puffed and cracked.

7.  Guests.  Yes, of course you’ll have guests at your New Year’s Eve party.  But don’t forget to invite an equal ratio of guys to girls—that way everyone will have someone to kiss at midnight!  Obviously that’s what we’re all looking forward to the most.

Julianne is an Ohio native studying communication at Boston College with a concentration in journalism. She got involved with Her Campus BC when the chapter launched in December 2010. She began as an editor and contributing writer, and since has moved up the ranks to Campus Correspondent. Aside from working for Her Campus, Julianne is a certified personal trainer at Boston College's Flynn Recreational Complex and teaches group fitness as well. During her sophomore year, Julianne was a part of the Arrupe Program at BC and traveled to Guatemala, learning about the culture, political, social, economic, and religious issues of the country. Her goals post graduation include writing for a health and fitness magazine or working in communications for college or professional athletics. As for now, however, she is enjoying life at the University she loves so much! An avid hockey and football fan, one can always find Julianne in the stands rooting on BC and the Boston Bruins! Other hobbies include running, yoga, cooking, baking, and photography.