How to Talk to Your Friends When Awkward Situations Come Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Your friend just started hooking up with this new guy and she’s totally in love.  Only problem is you think your friend’s new hottie might have a girlfriend.  In fact, you’re almost positive he does since you saw them at Roggies last weekend, hanging on each other’s every last word.

While this exact situation might not have happened to you, chances are you’ve been through something either more serious or more awkward with your friends.  How do you break the news to your friend, without completely ruining your friendship?  Below you’ll find five easy ways to get through any uncomfortable situation with a friend.

1. Let them know you’re coming from a place of love:  While it’s never fun to have to talk to a friend about something serious like a concern for her health or an awkward situation like you think she’s making a major mistake dating a new guy, these talks are sometimes necessary.  It’s better to be open and honest about what you’re feeling than to be completely passive aggressive.  However, make sure that when you confront your friend, you let her know that you’re coming to her because you’re genuinely concerned for her well-being and that if the situation were reversed you’d want her to do the same thing.

2. Let them know this has been on your mind for a while:  You need to make sure that you let your friend know that this isn’t just some fleeting thought that randomly popped into your head when you were at the Plex earlier that day.  By telling your friend that this is something that has been bothering you for a while and something that you have been thinking about and turning over in your head for some time will show her your concern as well as make her aware of how serious you’re taking the situation.

3. Make sure you actually do your homework:  You can’t go into an exam without having studied and the same is true for these kinds of situations with your friends.  If you think your friend’s boyfriend is cheating on her don’t just tell her without having absolutely zero evidence.  Make sure you have valid points that you can call to her attention.  That way when she tries to get defensive you can adequately explain to her why you think or feel the way you do. 

4. Have solutions:  Don’t just tell your friend that you have a problem or you think that there is something wrong unless you can actually suggest ways to help her.  If you think that the guy she likes isn’t treating her as awesome as he should be, give her suggestions on how to approach the conversation she should have with the guy.  Or, if you have a concern for your friend’s health, try suggesting ways in which to make the situation easier for her.  The solutions you come up with don’t have to be amazing, but by at least showing your friend that you want to support her in any way possible, will help her realize that you really are on her team.

5. Do it in person: This speaks for itself. No, you really can’t have these kinds of talks through text, Facebook or over the phone. 

Friendships are awesome for so many reasons and while they should be easy and fun the majority of the time, there are times when we all need our friends.  Friends tend to know a lot about their friends and have a great deal of insight into who they are as people, so even though it’s not always fun to have these conversations, they are necessary.  And afterwards, you’ll both feel a million times better.

Photo Sources: 
http://aulena.tumblr.com
http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/upload/321092648402166802_nrUDphgf.jpg

Lauren Ruvo is a sophomore at Boston College who is double majoring is Human Development and Communications. Lauren is originally from Las Vegas and doesn't think she will ever get used to the winters in Boston. Lauren writes for The Heights as well as the Boston College branch of Her Campus. In her free time, Lauren loves shopping, traveling, spending time with friends and family, spin class, and cooking. She is very excited about joining the Her Campus team!