How to Pack a Survival Purse For The Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Are you entering into a job or internship that you are thinking “oh my god, I am not ready/mature/smart enough for this real world thing they call work”? Yes, this is a scary idea. You’re entering the jungle that is any new work place. There are so many little things that keep you up at night tossing and turning. Whether you are trying to act like an adult for an internship or if you are really going for it as a graduating senior and about to enter the real world, you will be spending endless hours most likely doing some kind of grunt work in your job. You’re going to be spending countless hours learning the ropes. So what will happen when after all that time spent running around and time spent with your nose to the grind, you open your purse and realize that it is not sufficiently stocked with essentials you need to survive the craziness that is the real world?

Here is the survival guide for packing for the office:

Makeup:

For your bag you only need the essentials. You will most likely have done your make up beforehand, but hey you might need some touchups throughout the day right? So here’s what you need:

1.     Cover up/ foundation (users choice)

2.     Chap stick

3.     Lipstick

4.     Mascara

Wallet:

Two wallets, it’s an essential! Trust me, though this sounds excessive and crazy it really helps.

One will be used for all your cards and you main money, maybe even a check. Anything and everything you do not need easy access to.

The other wallet should be smaller. This will house your identification, keys, travel card (i.e. Bus pass, Charlie card, or metro card), main credit card and a few dollars cash (just in case). This is great for the grab-and-go when you run out to lunch. This wallet should be more like a wristlet so that you can keep it in the pocket of you coat which will enable easy access when you are getting home late from work.

Medicine:

Disclaimer: I am by no means prescribing any of you ladies medicine. You are all of the age that you know how your body hurts and what it reacts to.

Here’s what I like to keep in my Ziplock baggy medicine bag: Tums, Advil, Zyrtec and my various vitamins for healthy bones and good skin!

Always good to know you have the meds for the issue if it arises, if you know what I mean ladies?!

Miscellaneous essentials you might not think about:

Mouth wash, hair ties, face wipes, hand sanitizer, deodorant, headphones and a scarf.

You wouldn’t think so, but sometimes office buildings can be chilly. You can use the scarf as a blanket for your legs or for your shoulders and it really helps keep you warm when that air-conditioning comes on.

Snacks/ drinks:

You should always keep healthy and easy to transport snacks in your bag in case you get hungry or need a little boost of energy. These are the main four snacks I always keep on me during a work day:

1.     Raisins

2.     Reese’s

3.     Granola bars

4.     Banana

5.     Gummies

I have found that having these simple things always on hand really helps me keep going all day. It also helps to know that you have these items in your bag that will help your day run smoothly. It’s all about being prepared. Who knows… maybe your boss will suddenly have a splitting headache and you have the cure right in your purse! Brownie points to the moon.   

Photo Source:

http://www.remodelista.com/files/styles/733_0s/public/img/sub/uimg/09-20…

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum