How the Other Half Lives: Spring Break 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Even though it may seem as if it will never come while we are in the midst of midterm hell, spring break is quickly approaching. With its approach, we don’t even have to ask in order to hear the exciting and inspiring plans that many students at BC have for how they will spend their 10 classless days. Simply look at the choices made in the dining halls: calorie consciousness has hit BC dining as many students plan to don bathing suits while lounging on beautiful beaches in Mexico this break.  Walk through Mac and you will be continuously asked to donate to one of the many service trips that could use your “precious” dining dollars.  Head to Eagles to study on a Sunday night and you will come face to face with a couple hundred people gathered for their Appa meeting. All around campus, people have set plans for break, whether it’s vacationing on a beach with friends or forming lasting relationships through service on Appa.  With the approach of spring break, the campus has split into three parts: those who will be tanning, those who will be serving, and well… the rest of us. I fit into this last category, no amazing trip to Cabo (though I wish this wasn’t the case) and no plan to rebuild houses in South Carolina (also wish this wasn’t the case). Instead of spending my time thinking about how I am going to study for my upcoming midterms, I’ve spent the majority of my time thinking about how I am going to spend my spring break. If you’re like me and fall into the last category, here are some ideas I came up with to still make the most of these 10 days of spring break.

1. Visit friends

I’m headed to New York this break to visit one of my best friends, and while it may not be Mexico, taking a trip to visit friends could be a great way to feel like you are going on vacation this spring break. Bus and train tickets can be way more affordable than a plane ticket to paradise. It doesn’t have to be for the whole week; even just a weekend will still provide you with that feeling of going away.

2. Volunteer

Missed the deadline to apply for a service trip here but still want the feeling of doing something good for society this break? Look into ways you can volunteer close to home. A lot of food pantries, homeless shelters, and animal shelters often take one-time volunteers. This could be a great way to give back to the community in which you live. Maybe even get a group of your friends from home to do a day of service with you, that way you are still catching up with them while also doing something good.

3. Call work

Did you blow through all your hard-earned summer money on Fins, Starbucks, or alcohol? Spring break is the perfect opportunity to get some extra cash to have for the rest of the semester. Call your summer job and see if they have any available hours for spring break or find a new job that you could have when you go back home in the summer. However you decide to do it, you’ll be happy coming back with extra cash for the “necessities.”

4. Do work

Yes, I’ll be the first one to admit that this sounds highly unappealing, but setting aside a day or two for work could dramatically decrease your stress level when you return to campus. While many people will be tan and have one of those “Appalationships” you always hear about, you will be ahead or caught up with work, leaving nights free to relax or go out!

5. Relax

This is probably the most obvious one, but I feel like it still needs to be addressed. Take time this break to unwind from midterms and the stress of classes. Catch up on your favorite TV shows or treat yourself with a spa day. Embrace your go-to guilty pleasure and have a day where you do nothing but relax.

Whatever you choose to do this spring break, just make sure you make the most of it. And if this article didn’t relate to you because you are one of the many going on a service trip or to some sort of paradise, then just know that while all of these options are great, a part of me is still jealous!

Photo Sources:

http://www.miami.com/miami-spa-month-2012-article

http://collegelifestyles.org/2013/01/spring-break-spring-2013-locations/

http://orl.syr.edu/current-students/alternative-spring-break.html

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.