How To Make Your Resolutions Last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

At midnight on New Year’s Eve, every person feels as if they have a clean slate. They have the ability to become something greater – that’s why resolutions are made. Resolutions can be about getting in shape, saving money, or just being an overall better person. If you’re like me, you have a whole list of resolutions that you hope to keep, but that can get difficult. Now is the time when it starts to get harder and harder to get out of bed and go to the gym or to restrain yourself from buying that cute dress for spring break. So, how do you resist all these temptations? Here are a few ways:

Keep Track Of Your Progress

An easy way to make sure you’re sticking to your goals and making progress is by keeping track of what you do. Having a food and exercise log is a great way to pay attention to what you’re doing with your body. Another way to keep any resolution is to have a calendar and mark down every day you work toward your resolution. Seeing how your resolution is going on paper will keep you in the mindset of wanting to succeed all year!

Have Your Friends Join You

Just like in any horror movie, it’s always better when you stick with a group. You and your friends can keep each other on track by working toward your resolution together, by having a friendly competition, or even by cheering you on from the sidelines. If you get more people in on your resolution, the less likely you’ll be to slip up.

Write Inspirational Notes

We all have those days where you just want to give up, or you think, “I’ll just start again tomorrow.” To help combat these feelings, write notes on post-it notes and stick them anywhere and everywhere you can.

Don’t Be Afraid Of Slipping Up

When you do end up slipping up, though, it’s okay! Spending a little bit of money or getting that mocha from the Chocolate Bar isn’t going to ruin all of your hard work. When you slip up, keep track of it, think of how to get back on track, and move on with your life. Don’t worry about one mistake – you’ve already had so many successful days and will continue to in order to keep your resolution! 

Photo Sources:

http://amyjdelightful.blogspot.com/2011/05/free-downloadable-plannerfor-you.html?m=1

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0fl67erNu1r6177h.jpg

http://imaoneandonly.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/20130309-221855.jpg

Samantha Schroeder

Boston College student, but Wisconsinite at heart. Music aficionado, and lover of all things cats. BC '16, LSOE. Secondary Ed. and English major, Psychology minor. Along with being a writer and editor for HC BC, Samantha is a Drumline Section Leader in the Screaming Eagles Marching Band, involved in the BC Pep Band and the BC Symphonic Band, and is a member of the English Association.
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."