How to Detox after Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, all thoughts are on turkey slices and cranberry sauce. What’s not so exciting is the post-meal food baby sitting in our stomachs for the next couple of hours. It’s a euphoric yet uncomfortable feeling, and after such a hefty meal, it seems like it will last forever. What you’ll need then is a detox, and thankfully there are many ways to do so without feeling deprived or queasy. Enjoy the holiday season with these tips on giving your body a reboot after your delicious meal.

1. Apple Cider Vinegar

If Hippocrates could do it, so can you. Real, unfiltered ACV is a natural antibiotic and antiseptic that fights germs and bacteria. After eating a fair amount of the Thanksgiving feast, drinking this will help your digestive system and work to detoxify your body instantly. You can find these at any health food store and they are relatively inexpensive while lasting a long time.Try mixing one tablespoon with the “mother” (the active enzymes found in unfiltered ACV) with a glass of purified water. I personally like to drink it as hot tea with lemon and honey for taste and added antioxidants. 

2. Nettle or Green Tea

ACV not your thing? Try nettle or dandelion tea instead! These two teas are easy to find while also being inexpensive. Stinging nettle is a diuretic, an astringent, and a decongestant among other things. It is a powerful purifier, but green tea is also just as good. Used for over 5000 years, this herbal tea improves liver detoxification (especially after alcohol consumption) and has been proven to relieve digestion and to reduce cancer rates along with sugar levels.

3. Take Probiotics

Probiotics aid in digestion and cleansing the body overall. A healthy gut means your body absorbs the nutrients it needs and gets rid of what it doesn’t. Without it, it might end up being more than just that turkey making your stomach hurt. If you don’t want to take a pill, consuming yogurt will help as well. If you’re lactose intolerant, however, this method is not recommended, unless you can find an alternative. Probiotics can be taken before or after a meal; either way, it’ll get the job done. If you’ve never considered taking them before, now is the perfect time to start.

4. Move your Body!

Instead of stretching out on the sofa after downing that turkey and pumpkin pie, get your body moving! Going for a walk or doing some gentle yoga helps keep digestion flowing and will allow your body to relax after so much activity at the dinner table. Personally, nothing ends a holiday gathering like a fun, almost friendly card game. Simply being in a space where you and your relatives can enjoy time together is always something to be grateful for. 

Bonus Tips

• Lemon Water: Drinking hot lemon water the next morning is a great start to your post-thanksgiving recovery. The lemon will kickstart digestion and your metabolism while helping to flush out your liver.
  • Take it easy on the gluten, dairy, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine. These ingredients can create a toxic buildup in your body, which is not good after feasting the day before. Give your system a reboot and cut down on these food items for a few days, while drinking plenty of water and doing some exercises.

As with any detox, especially if you’re cutting out certain foods, it’s always best to start small. Listen to your body when incorporating these tips into your holiday or even regular routine. Doing thorough research and talking with health experts will also be beneficial, as not everything is tailored for everybody. The important thing to remember, however, is that the purpose of Thanksgiving is to EAT! It’s been a long semester so far, and even though we’re so close to Christmas, there’s nothing wrong with getting into the hearty holiday spirit early. So enjoy that extra slice of pumpkin pie or that massive helping of mashed potatoes. You have one body that loves good food, so what better way to be grateful for it than treating yourself? You deserve it.

Sources: 

https://www.rd.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/01-turkey-What-Your-Favori…

https://cdn2.curejoy.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Apple-Cider-…

http://www.well-beingsecrets.com/wp-content/uploads/How-to-Include-More-Green-Tea-in-Your-Diet.jpg

http://consumershealthreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Probiotics-Can-Increase-The-Obesity-And-Affect-Your-Health.jpg

http://ggia.berkeley.edu/images/made/assets/general/GGIA-WalkingMeditation_257_171_s_c1.jpg

Hey! My name is Olivia and I'm a college junior studying Linguistics and American Studies. I’ve been writing since I was young and it gave me so much joy at the time. But once I started college, I traded my pen and paper for a Macbook and wrote for school instead. But some part of me still wanted to write for myself, and I was finally motivated to do so in January 2017. Aside from writing,  I'm a Christian who loves reading, cooking, shopping, playing video games, and sleeping (especially). I'm very much into health and fitness (while at the same time a sweet tooth) and I'm always researching on how to life hack everything. If I'm not studying in the library like a good student should, I'm hanging out with friends or relaxing in my room after a long day.