How to be Roommates with your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Rooming with you best friend sounds easy, right?  It will be full of late night vent sessions about running into that “cute guy from class with the glasses” in Lower, morning yoga classes together, and endless nights spent in the mods.  It will be a piece of cake, right?  As much as we don’t like to admit it, this seemingly perfect situation can have its downfalls.  We tend to think that the roommate contract matters, setting standards of living matter, and even talking about who can sleep over when all matter less. Why do we tend to think this way?  Because s/he is our best friend and we know everything there is to know about them.  Well, when it comes to being roommates we are oh so wrong.  Here are some Do’s and Don’ts that can help this perfect situation remain that way.

Don’t:

• Don’t just assume your best friend is fine with you bringing your boyfriend/girlfriend back to the room.  Just because they may love him/her and you as well, doesn’t mean they want to be sexiled from their own room to prove said love.
  • Don’t do everything together.  You already live together so give each other space to breathe by not getting every single meal together or being in all of the same classes.
  • Don’t borrow each other’s clothes without asking.  Yes, your best friend loves you, but she will definitely not love seeing you walking across campus in the new dress she just bought.  So make it a rule to ask first!
  • Don’t be passive aggressive!  Don’t slam your drawers early in the morning to show your anger over the fact that your roommate’s side of the room is atrocious.  Talk it out; your friendship will be so much stronger if you do.

Do:

• Do set apart a time for hanging out with just your best friend.  Just because you see each other every day when you get back to the room doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take time to get Fins or go into Boston together.
  • Do fill out a roommate contract.  Trust me, there will be things you didn’t realize you differed on until you see them in writing.  It will make the living situation all the more enjoyable.
  • Do value their privacy.  Just because your best friend lets you occasionally go on her Facebook does not mean that her email and other personal items on her computer are fair game.
  • Do remember s/he is your best friend and although things might get rough, there’s nothing a pint of Ben & Jerry’s can’t fix.

My last piece of advice is “when in doubt, talk it out.” Corny, cliché and childish I know, but do not let rooming things simmer between you and your best friend, talking about it will ensure that your friendship remains as strong as ever.

Photo Source:

http://www.thecollegehelper.com/best-friends-dont-always-make-the-best-college-roommates

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."