How to be Fluent in Body Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

When in doubt, let your body do the talking.  Sometimes when we are into a guy, we may not have the confidence to outwardly tell him, and therefore, we may rely on our body to do the talking.  Other times, we don’t want to be mean and blatantly turn him away, so we try to give him some social cues.  Girls find over time that some moves work more than others, and through trial and error, you can learn a second language here at college, body language.

When the time is right…

“It’s All in the Eyes.”

Studies have said that if you are interested in someone, you will look at them for 4 seconds or longer.  If we catch your attention, we may look away, but if interested, expect us to keep checking back at least 2 or 3 more times.  When the moment comes and we are ready and our eyes finally do lock, notice how our eyes get bigger.  This is because we are taking you in, and we are excited. If conversation starts, our focus is honed in on you.

“You give me butterflies.”

No matter how hard we try to hide it, we do get nervous and self-conscious around you with maybe just a little bit of giddiness.  Although our eye contact is focused on you, we may look down and get fidgety.  This is because we CARE about what you think about us.

“Lean in.”

In a conversation, you can tell if we are interested because we lean into you.  A perfect opportunity and excuse is a loud party because aren’t we the lucky gals, who have no choice, but to get closer to hear what the other has to say.  Add in a few light touches on the shoulder or arm, and you are golden.

“Say cheese?”

When we can’t stop smiling and all of a sudden your jokes seem to be the funniest things ever, it’s a hint that maybe we want to boost your self-esteem.  May seem very school-girlish, but definitely a clue.

“Long hair, don’t care.”

When we flip our hair or twirl our hair or even just start touching it, it is a cue we are trying to get your attention as well as the fact that we care how we look around you.

When its time to walk away…

“X does NOT mark the spot.”

If our arms our crossed, our legs our crossed, and we are leaning away from you (or maybe we just seem to be acting cross with you), then you aren’t in luck.  Basically, it shows that we are off limits, not interested, and don’t want our space to be invaded.

“Ultimate BC look-away”

Even when you are right in front of her, she is finding every possible way to NOT make eye contact with you.  Commonly, girls are searching out for a friend to come and latch on to as their escape method, or they are looking through their phone or at another guy that may be more interesting.

“No teeth.”

A smirk.  Although it isn’t a frown and is only one step away from a smile, it is a smug way for a girl to say she is just trying to be polite, but truly is not interested.

“Remember Fat Joe?”

Famous during my middle school years, Fat Joe made the “Lean Back”, a famous song and dance at almost every party.  Little did he know that this famous move is the opposite of what men want women to do.  When girls are leaning away from you (and even worse when we lean back when you lean in), you can consider your night over.

When you are not sure…

“Test it out with mimicry.”

It is a natural human reaction to mimic the actions of someone that you are interested in.  This may be when you sometimes find yourself to be completely in sync with someone you are interested in yet can’t explain why.  If you aren’t sure what signals you are getting, try doing something like checking your watch or fixing your shirt, and look to see if you notice if the other person does the same.  They may subconsciously do this, and therefore, it’s time to make your move!

Photo Sources:

http://sin.stb.s-msn.com/i/5B/A6C6CE8DBEB112F9B11CB767E4_h498_w598_m2_cHDFAjdOY.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3bn8bShoH1rnhi9no1_400.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RiKjNwW42to/TtzMrrOXVOI/AAAAAAAADGY/miWYPQ_2YHM/s1600/Fall%2BIn%2BLove%2BWith%2BYou%2B2.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01577/flirting_1577403c.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.