HisCampus BC Feature: All the Words I Never Said

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Dear Dream Girl,

Let me start by saying that you’re beautiful, inside and out. You may or may not agree with me, but trust me – seeing that smile light up your face makes my day.  I make myself a little late to class just to run into you.  I think my professors are starting to catch on, but I don’t mind.  Every time I see you, you manage to cheer me up simply by being yourself, no matter how bad my day has been, and I can’t thank you for that enough. You’re beautiful, you’re smart, you’re funny, and you’re kind.  I love you, and I love seeing you, especially when you’re happy, because you bring me joy simply by being who you are.  

But there are days when you’re not happy, and those days worry me a little.  I run through all the tired expressions in my head, attempting to find the perfect one to make you feel better, things like ‘take a deep breath’ or ‘everything is going to be ok.’  Everything WILL be ok, but I’m not so sure you believe it.  And honestly, that really bothers me.  I wish you could see yourself the way I see you, as more than the sum of all your little insecurities.  You’re worth more than the number on the scale, more than what hair product you use, more than the cost of your clothes or shoes.  You’re worth more than how you score on tests, more than how many girls want to be you, more than how many guys want to be with you.  You’re even worth more than the number of facebook friends and twitter followers you have.  And I wish I had the guts to tell you in person, because you deserve to know this.  I don’t know all the struggles you’ve been through, and I’m sorry you’re putting up a front and hiding your pain from the world, and I just want you to know that I’m here for you.  One day, maybe I’ll even say this to your face.

Did you catch the head fake?  This isn’t to one specific person I’m putting up on a pedestal.  It’s to all of you, dear readers.  Each and every one of you is a beautiful, unique person, and there’s only one of you, and there will only ever be one of you.  And that’s pretty incredible.  Want to know how to be happier and turn BC into a friendlier, more fun, and more welcoming place?  Be yourself, take a risk (I’ve heard that an adventure a day keeps the doctor away), and greet each and every morning with a smile on your face.  Say hello to someone new, you’ll make his or her day.  In fact, never be afraid to talk to anyone.  But above all, please, please, PLEASE remember who you are – regardless of who you think you are, you’re loved, and cherished, and adored.  You’re powerful, more powerful than you may ever know.  I don’t know how far you’ll go, but I know I can’t wait to see you shine.

Wishing you much love, light, and happiness, always and in all ways,

Berent

Image Source:

http://weheartit.com/tag/boys 

Berent LaBrecque is a junior history and political science major from Cheshire, CT. In addition to his studies, he is a member of the varsity fencing team and is a Research Assistant in the History Department. He enjoys learning about American foreign policy, going on adventures, getting lost in a good book, and listening to jazz. He desires to one day be named a HerCampus Campus Cutie, and his life goal is to make at least one person's day, every day, forever.
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum