Hey Ryan Lochte, Brazil is Still Mad at You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Being Brazilian had an extra perk this summer. Going home once my internship was over meant that on top of having the chance to cuddle with my dog for hours on end, I would get the chance to see some really above average athletics. After spending hours watching the Omaha swim trials, becoming an avid follower of Boomer Phelps’ Instagram, and searching for Simole Biles’ coolest tricks on Youtube, I couldn’t have been more excited!

My excitement started to wash away however, when I told people I was going to Rio and heard their feedback: “Aren’t you afraid of Zika? You’re not going to swim in those waters, are you? Are you sure it’s safe? What do you think of your president’s impeachment? ” It was sad to see all the negativity surrounding the global event hosted in my second home country, but I had hopes it would run smoothly and everyone would be impressed by what Brazil could do even under such political and economic distress.

And I was right! Apart from a few hiccups (sorry, team Australia for all of the mishaps; and you, Ryan Lochte, better never step foot in our country again), it was a fantastic event! Topics such as environmental awareness, conflict resolution, healthy body image, gender equality, and social development were brought to light, reminding everyone that the importance of the Olympics lies way beyond the number of medals your country is able to bring home. I saw people from across the world come together to celebrate the talents of athletes who had dedicated at least four years of their life for that one moment, just to make their nation proud. I was so inspired by the personal stories of all of those who were competing in the games and all of those that had given up so many other things to be present in Rio, cheering on their team.

The Paralympic games are currently happening and bringing even more excitement to the Brazil so if you couldn’t get enough of the Olympics, make sure to check out the Paralympics! See you in Tokyo in four years? 

Catherine is a sophomore at Boston College majoring in Political Science and minoring in International Studies. She is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus BC publicity team once again this semester. Her hobbies include bingeing on Netflix, ordering coffees with ridicuously long names (skim, sugar-free, iced-caramel latte, anyone?), and spending hours on hercampus.com. 
Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.