To Grad School, or Not to Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

With the spring semester off to a fast start, the questions about summer internships and (for the seniors) plans after graduation have started to come flying at college undergrads. The questions can be fielded with ready-prepared answers, or more often than not, “I’m not sure” tends to suffice.

As a junior, I’ve been thinking a lot about my future plans, what with everyone applying to internships so that they will get an offer for after graduation (oh hey there, CSOM). But for those of us not enrolled in the Carroll School, post graduation plans can be slightly more complicated.

The terrifying prospect of graduating with no secure job or plan is not exactly appealing, and often a student will decide to continue his or her education. Now, there are plenty of reasons to attend grad school, but if you are trying to decide if more years of hanging out with professors every day is right for you—here are some tips to help with the tough decision.

1. Think about Why You Want to go to Grad School

If you come up with an answer like, “I’m not really sure what else to do,” that probably isn’t sufficient to get you through more grueling years of schooling and the debt that often comes with it. You should really contemplate why it is you want to attend grad school, and be confident in the decision once you make it. If it makes sense for the furthering of your career or you as a person, I say go for it.

2. Location, Location, Location

It’s undeniable that where you go to grad school is often where you end up finding a career. In choosing a geographical location, think about where it is that you might want to eventually end up (it’s scary, I know) and what that means for your profession.

3. But I want it NOW!

Assess your personal position on taking a year or two off in between graduation and attending grad school. If you decide to take some time off, that could give you an opportunity to explore other career options while saving money. Also, think about taking a year off and whether that might discourage you from going back to school.

Hopefully these tips will help in your decision about grad school. It can definitely be a lot to think about, but this decision should certainly be well thought out!

Photo Sources:

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/best-android-apps-for-reading-books-and-syncing-between-devices-november-2013/

http://www.bensonhonda.com/blog/honda-graduate-program-criteria

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.