It’s no secret that most guys at BC are huge sports-fanatics. As in, Sundays are a day where most boys are confined in their common rooms, glued to the football game on the TV screen and obsessively checking their fantasy league. Showers are in rare form, and it’s odd NOT to see a boy in a jersey at halftime grabbing food in Lower.
As a female sports fan, I can appreciate this type of behavior (except the hygiene). I’ve been one to impress boys with my sports knowledge, and I find sports to be a great break from homework and things like, say, finding a job and figuring out my future. I am fan of all New York sports (and I will defend this to no end, so don’t even try). But I understand that the entire BC female population does not share my opinion on sports. Some don’t find it entertaining at all, while others just don’t understand the appeal of men in tight uniforms hitting each other while trying to get the ball into the brightly colored end zone.
This could be you
One of the most entertaining parts of going to a BC game or watching sports on TV is the interaction between guys and girls. Most guys have strong opinions on both women and sports, and they are not afraid to share them. After asking many guy friends about their opinions, I’ve put together a list of advice on how girls and guys can watch sports together and use sports to your advantage.
Things to say while watching sports with guys:
- Don’t worry if you don’t understand the rules as well as your guy or guy friend. Ask him for an explanation, and I guarantee he’ll be more than happy to go through the finer points of pass interference and why that call on Corey Webster was so totally wrong. You will also make them feel smart and boost their ego (they need this).
- Don’t say that their uniforms are adorable. Just don’t. Ditto about a nice tush. This is not why guys watch sports.
- SportsCenter on ESPN is a great recap of anything sports from the night before or that day. Watch it to brush up on scores and facts.
- Watching a game together is actually a great excuse to spend time with your crush. And who knows, you may realize that baseball isn’t that boring.
- Are sports so painful that you can’t even think about watching it? Then don’t. Guys would rather that a girl admits they hate sports instead of pretending to be the Celtics’ #1 fan.
- Don’t pretend to know everything about sports and actively try to prove it. Guys will have less respect for you. Who actually likes when people try to prove a point that they know nothing about?
- Sports are usually a huge social event. So treat it like that and spend time with your friends, rather than being bored over what’s going on in the game. Also, tailgating. Enough said.
- Buy your guy tickets to one of the games of his favorite team, and you’ll be forever golden.
But really, this could be you
Guys were most excited to share what they think girls should NOT say or do, so here’s a list:
* These are just opinions, so take them for what they’re worth.
- “What else is on?”
- “When is this going to be over?”
- If your guy’s team was just dealt a heartbreaking loss, be quietly consoling. And then go buy him late night.
- “He’s hot.”
- “Why are you getting so upset? It’s just a game.”
- “But he tried so hard! That’s what counts.”
- Guys control the remote. No exceptions.
- Screaming every single time something potentially exciting is about to happen. This could be a) scary or b) distracting to what is actually going on. And if he misses that play because he’s looking at a screaming girl, God help you.
Whether or not you find this article helpful, it is extremely obvious that sports play a huge role in a BC guy’s life. You can either try to understand it, or ignore it. Either way, sports are here to stay.