Getting Out of My Own Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

There have been many times in my life where I have felt stuck. For me, being stuck means that I just go through the motions of life but don’t actually feel that I’m getting anywhere. I perform actions out of necessity, not because I actually want to do them and as a result, I feel trapped in a seemingless endless cycle.

When I feel trapped, it’s easy for me to become negative and have a pessimistic view of the world. I see my life as a hopeless journey where I can’t do anything to change and I give up on wanting more. I let the bad things that are happening or the monotonous feel of daily life get the best of me. I consider believing that my life will always be that way and so I should just suck it up and move on.

While that feeling of being stuck has usually caused me to let life take me by, I’ve started to realize that I have to stop getting in my own way. I let my own negativity and self-doubt control my life so I don’t allow myself the possibility of change to happen. The bad things that happen in my life or the negative feelings I have aren’t permanent and don’t dictate my future, and it’s time that I start to believe that. Bad things happen and I don’t always have to be positive, but I can’t  allow myself to continually be sad because of my refusal to believe in the possibility of more. Those small moments of happiness and hope I feel from time to time may seem fleeting, but they are a sign that my life isn’t destined to always be a constant cycle of bad situations and despair. I have to stop keeping myself from achieving contentment, maybe even happiness, because of the thought that the happiness won’t last. I can’t keep letting myself not experience things because of fear. It’s not fair to myself and I deserve to give myself the best possibility for success. I need to stop holding back and just live life the best way I can, with all the good and bad. I have to keep on believing that even if a negative situation come around, there’s always the little things that put a smile on my face and open me up to the knowledge that it’s possible to have good moments amidst the troubled times.

Sources:

http://superstrengthhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/gtfo.jpg

http://positivelypresent.typepad.com/.a/6a011168668cad970c012875b11093970c-pi

Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.