Four Healthy Breakfast Options at BC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As we approach the end of the semester, it means we are getting close to the end! Don’t give up your health resolutions just yet. I know it’s easy to grab a greasy breakfast sandwich or to skip breakfast all together, but breakfast is a very important meal – it kickstarts your metabolism and sets a tone for your entire day. You don’t need fancy blenders or expensive ingredients to pick healthy breakfast options – they are right at your disposal with a trip to the dining hall. Start your day off the healthy way with these five breakfast options you can find at the BC Dining Halls!

1.  Oatmeal

Oatmeal should be a breakfast staple in everyone’s diet. Some people can’t get over the texture of oatmeal, but once you get used to it you will fall in love with the taste! One of my favorite things about oatmeal is that it is extremely filling. I love to mix in blueberries and strawberries from the yogurt bar to pack in flavor and nutrients!

2.  Yogurt and Granola

Like oatmeal, yogurt and granola is an extremely filling breakfast. I pair the Chobani non-fat plain greek yogurt with pineapple chunks from the yogurt bar and add granola on top. The granola at BC dining halls is sweetened, so be careful with how large your portions are!

3.  Healthy Cereals

BC offers a variety of cereals to suit everyone’s needs. It probably goes without saying, but there are some cereals you should stay away from when trying to make a healthy decision. Stay away from sugary cereals like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Captain Crunch, and Cocoa Puffs. Instead, choose cereals like Special K, Kashi Heart to Heart, or Cheerios. Pair these cereals with skim milk and you’ve got yourself a filling, healthy alternative to their less-than-healthy counterparts.

4.  Smoothies

Located in Mac, the ‘Berry-Licious’ and ‘Mean Green’ smoothies are perfect on-the-go options for an early morning. The Berry-Licious smoothie is made with blueberry yogurt and a variety of healthy fruits. Mean Green is made with a variety of greens such as kale or celery. Both are great options for a breakfast or a healthy mid-morning snack!

Last but not least, I need to stress that any sugary latte or syrup-laden coffee should be chosen sparingly. If you are going to choose coffee for breakfast, black coffee is your healthiest option. If you’re not a coffee lover, go for tea to help curb cravings. Avoid juice that is packed with sugar. Instead of grabbing an orange juice, try an orange instead. The fruit itself will always be healthier than its juice form. As with any meal, you should drink water to cleanse your body and rid toxins. Happy Healthy Eating!

Photo Sources:

www.fuelrunning.com

www.sheknows.com

www.katheats.com

www.fashiongalwarda.blogspot.com

www.getupanddosomething.org

I'm a girl from BC who likes to do things. That's all.
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."