The First Snow Fall And What It Might Bring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

On Sunday November 2nd at around 10:30 am, I woke up to snow falling outside my window. I walked out to my common room in Ignacio hall to look out to see that the tree outside our window was covered with orange leaves and white thick flurries of snow. Now, I got a little overly excited for this small act of winter but hey, that’s just me. 

Next thing I knew I had convinced my friends to get all bundled up and we ran outside to enjoy this first snowfall. The snow was wet and thick and stuck to us instantly. As I stood out in the snow I had flashbacks to my past few years at BC. I am in my senior year and this first snowfall told me instantly that my fall as a senior at Boston College had come to an official end. I was now into my last winter of college. Now, I love taking silly pictures as much as the next person and as much as I love the snow, this first winter snowfall also made me a little sad. As I stared at the snow covering the back hills of Iggy I realized just how much I had been through so far at school.

My first Halloween at BC had involved snow but in true freshmen-girl style we still went out in our miniskirts and animal ears. My sophomore year I met my (at the time) boyfriend’s family and we got snowed in with them in Rhode Island, which honestly was probably one of the best weekends I can remember. Junior year I experienced a few to many self-appointed snow days in which I snuggled up on the couch and enjoyed a day of Netflix and hot chocolate. The winter has always been one of my favorite seasons, and as I reminisce I can see that so many transitional, memorable events had taken place for me during the snowy months.

It makes me wonder about these next few months as a senior, entering into the last couple months of college life – What kinds of memories will I attach to this winter? Can I say for certain that everything will stay the same? Not at all. I wonder if this will it be the winter that I get a job, do well in my classes, make new friends, and maybe meet someone new to share these cuddle-perfect months with, or will I be content to just be me? What kind of memories will I attach to my last winter here at Boston College? I just wanted people to see that seasons change, time lapses, life presses forward and before you know it everything is different and that can be scary. If you take a second to try and catch the snowflakes on your tongue, maybe, just maybe it won’t be so scary. Every snowflake that falls is different, not one can honestly tell how their life is going to turn out today, or tomorrow or the next day. You cannot predict what is to come but moment to moment you can enjoy it. So yeah, maybe it was a bit weird to run out into the snow and pose by the tree and take jumping pictures as a 22 year old senior girl in her final year at Boston College, but now I have a new memory to attach to this winter. On the first snowfall of this academic year I was there, with the people I care about most, enjoying just a few moments of bliss. So have a great winter everyone, remember take some time for yourself to really enjoy it  because before you know it, it will be spring because that’s what happens – things just change.  

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.