The Few, The Proud: Boston College Women’s Club Lacrosse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

We can be spotted amongst a crowd wearing our black team Patagonia jackets, with our BC logo displayed proudly across the front.  We can be found at eight o’clock on a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday night, practicing hard on the Newton Field.  We can be seen on the fields of the University of Rhode Island, Brown University, University of Maryland, and even on our own BC fields, playing hard and beating our competition.  We are the Boston College Women’s Club Lacrosse team, and this is our story.

Our Club Lacrosse team is made up of very dedicate and hard working women.  We are determinate, passionate and share a single goal: the desire to win.  With 26 players, we are a team of different personalities and special talents, but when combined, we make up an amazingly gifted team who is currently boasting a 5-1 record.  Although some might appreciate the level of dedication at the club level, there is so much that people don’t know about the BCWCL team.  Tryouts were intense and involved two rounds of cuts, for 8 weeks, we had 6 am strengthening and conditioning at the Plex, we practice a minimum of three days a week, and play most of our season within a three or four week period.  We just recently traveled over 400 miles to Maryland for a weekend tournament where we defeated Penn State, who was then ranked 17th in the country.  We are a talented group that has bonded together to become a true team.

BCWCL creates strong bonds and lasting friendships among the players.  During the brief lacrosse season, we spend more time with our fellow players than we do our roommates and our off-the-field friends.  The lacrosse field becomes our second home and we become a team every time we step out to play.  Becoming a member of this team has been the best experience so far of my freshman year and it has truly changed my BC perspective in such a positive way.  It has challenged me but also rewarded me, given me an outlet to relieve the stress of college, and also has given me a whole new group of friends and sisters whom I truly admire.  Though I was originally hesitant to tryout and to showcase my talent, I am glad I did because I finally found something that completes my experience at Boston College.  Lacrosse was my life in high school and meeting girls with the same passion and commitment as I have has been such a wonderful experience.  We are BC Women’s Club Lacrosse, a team of excellence, and a burning passion and a true desire to bring out the best in each other.

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.