Fact or Fiction: Food Myths Revealed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

We have all heard crazy food myths about what to and what not to eat, and often times, we follow them without thinking twice about whether or not they are true or not.  Some of them have become so common that people take them as fact, and food brands have taken advantage of our ignorance to the truth.  Here are some common food myths that I am sure you have heard of and did not realize were false.  To ensure that our eating habits are healthy, make sure you take the time to find out whether the tips are fact or fiction. 

1.  Carbs make you fat.

Many people stay away from carbs because they think that they will become fat from eating them, but that is totally false.  The only way that you gain weight is by consuming more calories than you burn in a day.  Now, there are two different types of carbohydrates – refined carbs, such as white rice and white bread, and complex carbs, which are the good carbs.  Examples of complex carbs are whole grains, oats, beans, and fruits.  These complex carbohydrates contain more fiber and give your body more nutrients than refined carbohydrates can.  Another reason you should NOT try to eliminate carbohydrates in your diet is because you will be more likely to cave into “cheat meals,” or unhealthy foods.  When you deprive your body of something, you mentally crave it more.  So, don’t be scared to eat carbs!  Just eat them in moderation, and try to stick to complex ones!

2.  Eating fats makes you fat. 

This is truly one of the worst myths ever, yet it is heard repeatedly.  Of course, foods, such as burgers, cheese fries, cookies, and other greasy, fried fare, contain no healthful benefits for your body, but there is such a thing as GOOD FAT.  I know it sounds crazy, but you will soon love me to hear that fats are not completely forbidden.  Monounsaturated fats, such as avocados, peanuts, almonds, pecans, and seeds, help your body absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K.  It’s actually beneficial to have a moderate portion of these fats because they actually help you lose stored fat, which is that stubborn fat that seems like you just can’t get rid of.

3.  It is better to buy “diet” and “fat-free” foods.

Many people fall for the tricks made by food companies not realizing that it really is a trap.  These brand labeled “diet foods” are usually a chemical storm of all kinds of unnatural ingredients.  They are more than likely artificially flavored and usually have little to no nutritional value.  When you see “low fat” or “non-fat,” it usually means that instead of fat, there is twice the amount of sugar and refined carbohydrates in the food to make up for that fat.  Although these advertising companies portray these products as healthy, be sure to read the ingredients before you buy them.  Some examples are diet soda, vitamin water, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, 100 calorie packs, veggie crisps, Fiber One bars, and Special K bars (which have over 9 different sugar alcohols listed in their ingredients list).

Just keep these food myths in mind the next time that you are at the grocery store.  Be conscious of what you are buying, of what ingredients are in the food you eat, and of the diet tips that you hear from a friend.  Before taking their word for fact, consult a nutritionist or creditable online resource.  We can all make healthy decisions to benefit our bodies, one bite at a time.

Source:

Amanda Miceli- Healthy Eating Advocate

Image Sources:

http://www.ariix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Good-Fats-Vs-Bad-Fats.jpg

http://media.fooducate.com/blog/posts/carbs.jpg

http://www.livewellwithmel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Busting-3-Major-Food-Myths.jpg

http://www.shape.com/sites/shape.com/files/imagecache/gallery_full_image/photo_gallery_picture_images/fat-free-foods-420.jpg

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.