Eat This, Not That: Breakfast Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Breakfast is probably my favorite meal, and I’m constantly baffled by those people who can make it through the day (and not experience extreme hanger) without eating something in the morning. I find myself wishing I could eat delicious pancakes and waffles and muffins every day, but that’s obviously unrealistic (unless I want to be 500 pounds, but I think I’ll avoid that). Instead, I’ve come up with some healthy alternatives you can easily make; they’re still delicious, just better for you!

Instead of having pancakes, whether you make them from scratch or use the classic Aunt Jemima mix, try Greek yogurt pancakes instead! They’re just as delicious, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t even like Greek yogurt. These pancakes are super simple, so definitely check out this healthier alternative:

• Mix 6 oz. of your favorite Greek yogurt with one egg. Add ½ cup flour and 1 tsp. baking soda. The batter will be quite thick.
  • Pour mixture onto a greased frying pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides and enjoy!

My other new breakfast alternative is squash chocolate chip muffins. I was introduced to these recently, when one of my professors brought them to me, and they’re SO delicious. Plus, with squash (of your choice) in them, you feel better about indulging from time to time with these tasty treats!

• Preheat oven to 400 F.
  • Mix 1 cup sugar, ¼ cup vegetable oil, 2 eggs, and ¾ cup canned pumpkin.
  • Add 1½ cups flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp. baking soda, and ½ tsp. salt.
  • Mix in spices (¼ tsp. cloves, ¼ tsp. cinnamon, ¼ tsp. nutmeg) and 1 cup mini chocolate chips.
  • Pour batter into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup about ¾ of the way.
  • Bake 18 to 20 minutes.

Both are delicious, so I hope you all enjoy!!

Photo Sources:

http://www.everydaybelle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/greek_yogurt_pancakes_thumb.jpg

http://www.diabetesmine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/breakfast-heart-eggs.jpg

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum