The Diet Coke Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Picture the typical BC girl.  She has Ray Ban aviator sunglasses, a J.Crew sweater, and a Longchamp bag over her shoulder.  Oh, and a Diet Coke in her hand, now the picture’s complete.

It’s not Pepsi, or Diet Pepsi, or even Coke Zero.  Many people, both in and out of the BC community, swear by Diet Coke, drinking more than one on a daily basis.  In fact, diet cola makes up half of the sodas sold by BC Dining Services.  If it’s that popular, there’s got to be something to it, right?

For those who need a pick-me-up after a night out at the Mods or after being camped out in O’Neill studying, turning to a caffeinated beverage makes sense.  After a few of those nights in a row, and the steady consumption of caffeine, though, it actually is possible to become addicted.  A study in the British Journal of Addiction found that as much as one-tenth of the population has an addiction to caffeine, and in a study that gave subjects caffeine pills over a long period of time, those who stopped had blood flow patterns causing headaches and drowsiness.  Caffeine addictions are real, as are the withdrawal symptoms.

However, that doesn’t seem to explain why Diet Coke has everyone hooked.  It has only 20% of the caffeine found in an equal amount of coffee, and the average serving only has about 30% more caffeine than a chocolate bar.  

Another factor that has been studied is the artificial sweetener, which could potentially show why everyone needs their Diet Coke, not just Coca-Cola.  A study in 2008 showed that women consuming a calorie-free sweetener could not tell the difference between that and sugar.  On brain scans, though, the sugar yielded more complete activity in the brain’s reward center.  So even if you can’t taste a difference, the satisfaction gap that comes with diet soda could lead you back to the vending machine soon after you finish your first can.

The calorie-free nature of Diet Coke also contributes to its popularity in psychological- rather than just biological- ways.  “It’s a nice alternative since it has no calories,” said Kirstin Silhan, CSOM’14.  “But I still feel like I’m indulging myself.”  A can of original Coke contains 140 calories, not too significant over the course of a day, but enough to make you hesitate before going back for a second and third.  With Diet Coke, though, there’s little perceived drawback to consuming large quantities.

BC girls choose Diet Coke for taste, a seeming indulgence, and a caffeine fix, but there are drawbacks.  Increased consumption is related to an increased risk of bone density, type two diabetes, stroke, and weight gain.  Yes, weight gain.

There’s been some evidence of Diet Coke influencing insulin and blood-sugar, causing cravings and hunger, but the main reason is most likely behavioral.  People think they can eat more because they chose a calorie-free beverage, or they begin to disassociate sweetness with calories.

Another factor, brought up by BC’s Registered Dietitian, Sheila Tucker, is the issue of substitution. “If the diet is lacking in calcium because soda is consumed instead of milk or another calcium source, that is an unhealthy habit,” said Tucker.

When choosing drinks, the health benefits (or lack thereof) of each beverage must be weighed. “I think the risks would apply for people who drink tons of cans a day,” said Laura Goodell, A&S’14.  “But if you’re having one it doesn’t matter as much.”  Others, though, take a different stance.  “I might as well have the health impacts of actual Coke in the present rather than drinking diet and having the health impacts later on,” said Katie Woodward, A&S ’14.

No, one can of Diet Coke won’t kill you, and neither will two.  As Tucker pointed out, “diet soda in moderation can fit into an otherwise healthy diet without negative consequences.”  But if you find yourself picking up a six-pack every time you swing through Lower, and then stop at the vending machines between each class, it may be a problem.  Withdrawal headaches aren’t fun to deal with, but compared to the long-term health risks that comes with consistent over-consumption, it’s the best option.

Ladies, we walk up the Million Dollar Stairs on a daily basis.  Even on days that we skip the Plex, we’re most likely walking up and down Newbury Street or running back and forth across campus between meetings in Mac and Higgins.  If it’s what we want, we can let ourselves have an occasional Diet Coke, but for overall health, take the time for a nap and go with a real beverage, without caffeine and artificial sweeteners.

Photo Sources:
Marye Moran
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=diet+coke&hl=en&sa=X&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsf…

Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.