Crash Course in French Dressing 3: The Model Uniform

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Chloe Green-Vamos is a junior at Boston College, studying abroad in Paris, France for the fall semester.  Obsessed with fashion and French culture, you can imagine Chloe is absolutely in awe to be living in Paris!  When not in the classroom, she will be taking notes on the streets of Paris about fashion, style, and elegance.  This is a series about everything Chloe is learning from the women of France.

It’s Fashion Week in Paris and there’s a new crop of girls in town.  They have an air of sophistication and stand out even among Paris’ most fashionable citizens.  Who are these tall and stylish beauties carrying black books?  Models.  But it’s not their height or beauty that makes them stand out.  It’s a signature style, a “model uniform” if you will, that they all seem to be donning.  This look is the solution to the eternal dilemma of style versus comfort.  It is a look that is easy, stylish and leaves you collegiettes™no excuse to wear sweatpants to class!

Models live a fast-paced lifestyle: early morning call times, late night fittings, long hours on set, and endless travel.  With this hectic way of life, the last thing models want to worry about is what they are wearing off the job.  After all, models spend their entire careers making uncomfortable clothing look flawless on the catwalk.  To help soothe the pain of wearing fur coats in July, squeezing into suffocating bustiers and teetering in sky-high stilettos, models adopted a simple and minimalist sidewalk aesthetic that is as comfortable as it is stylish.  Model street style has evolved into a very distinct look, the “model uniform.”

The word “uniform” may conjure images of an itchy plaid skirt, a boxy stain guard button down, and penny loafers.  The model uniform, however, is nothing like the frumpy and unflattering uniform you wore in high school.  Yet, it’s just as easy to throw on.  It requires little effort or forethought.  The model uniform is the answer to every collegiette’s ™prayer, a look that is easy, comfortable, and above all stylish.  With this model-inspired look, you no longer have to choose comfort over style.

It’s a classic look that follows a simple formula- and chances are you already have the pieces to put this look together.  The first part of the equation is color.  What color do models love most?  Black, of course!  It’s sophisticated, always in style, and pairs with everything.  The color black is the base for this stylish look, which is composed of only three basic elements:

1.  The Leather Jacket
It’s rare to see a model sans leather.  A leather jacket is classic and edgy at the same time, making it the perfect fundamental piece of a uniform.  Every collegiette™ should have a nice leather jacket in her wardrobe.  Since it’s a wardrobe essential, feel free to splurge!  However, if you have a college student budget, you can find great leather jackets at Zara for under $100.  You can customize your uniform based on the silhouette of the jacket.  You can choose a motorcycle, bomber, or a more tailored cut that matches your personal style and flatters your figure.

2.  The flat boot
The flat boot is the antithesis to the idea that beauty = pain.  Models love their boots!  Flat boots are comfortable for walking and make any look more polished and put together.  To personalize the look you can choose any type of flat boot: riding boots, motorcycle boots, or even cowboy boots.  Wear your boots with jeans tucked in, leggings, or with a mini skirt and black tights.

3.  The fresh face
A fresh face is the last element to get this look.  Models spend a lot of time in the makeup chair so when they are off duty you will most likely find them without a stitch of makeup.  For this look, keep your makeup very simple and natural.  If you overdo the makeup you risk coming across harsh.  Concealer, mascara, and lip gloss are the only beauty items you need to complete your own model uniform.

On the catwalk, models strut their stuff in fashion’s finest looks and the season’s craziest trends.  However, it’s model street style that has become a fashion sensation.  The model uniform is a classic look that will turn any collegiette™into a model citizen and turn heads on any campus!

Photo Sources:
http://ballcapsandneckties.blogspot.com/2009/10/freja-street-fashion.html
http://becauseimaddicted.net/
http://models.com
http://harpersbazaar.com

Chloe Green-Vamos joined the Her Campus team as a Branch Manager in September 2011. In this role she oversees 5 new My Campus branches and works with very talented writers and leaders in colleges across the U.S. Chloe first became involved with Her Campus in January of 2011 as a contributing writer for Her Campus BC. Chloe is a junior at Boston College in the A&S Honors Program majoring in French and Communication. Chloe spends her spare time doing yoga, cooking(what do you expect from a Southern girl),shopping and daydreaming about travel.