Campus Celeb: Campus School’s Broom Hockey Committee!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Our Campus Celeb of this week is the Campus School’s Broom Hockey Committee. Read on to find out about this amazing organization and their great events planned for this upcoming semester!

About the Member:

Name: Nicholas Wegener

Year: 2016

Position in Campus School Volunteers of BC: Broom Hockey Committee Chair

All About Campus School:

For those who don’t know, what is the Campus School?

NW: The Campus School at Boston College was founded in 1970 to provide special education and related services to youths with severe multiple disabilities whose needs were not being met in their own community school programs, and as a training site for Boston College students. Our program provides student-centered educational, therapeutic, and health care services in a school-based setting to promote student growth in a stimulating environment, using challenging instruction tailored to the needs of the individual. The program serves students ages 3-21 with Cerebral Palsy, Developmental Disabilities, Complex Health Care Needs, Multiple Disabilities, Deaf-Blindness, Neurological Impairments, Rett Syndrome, Mitochondrial Disease, Pitt Hopkins, as well as other Low Incidence Disabilities. If you would like more information on the Campus School, please check out this video!

What exactly is the Broom Hockey Committee and what are your goals this year as an organization?

NW: The Broom Hockey Committee is a group of six Campus School Volunteers who organize a Broom Hockey Tournament every spring. This tournament, which functions as one of the Campus School’s chief fundraising events for the year, features 32 teams composed of eight to twelve students. Broom Hockey is just like a regular ice hockey game, but players wear sneakers instead of skates and hit a ball with a broom rather than a puck with a ball. The cost to enter the tournament is $15 per person and all the proceeds made go towards supporting the Campus School. This fall we are also aiming to run a 64 team Spikeball Tournament in the Plex.

What upcoming events are you planning?

NW: On November 15th, we will be running a charity Spikeball Tournament to benefit the Campus School. We are looking for a total of 64 teams to compete in this one-loss elimination March Madness Style Tournament. Games will be played to 21 and will be capped at 15 minutes. The event will begin at 12 pm with the first games and the champion will be crowned at 4pm. The entry fee is $10 per team of two. If you would like to play, please note your intent on the following Google Doc. If you have any more questions, check out the Facebook page for the event!

Payment can be completed as detailed on the Facebook Page. You can also email Nicholas Wegener at wegenern@bc.edu or Nathan Bubes at bubes@bc.edu with any further concerns! Looking for a great turnout and hope you can all make it!

Why should I come and play?

NW: You should come give up four hours of your free time on Sunday November 15th for three reasons. The first is that you get the opportunity to get away from your schoolwork and have a nice, active study break. We all know just how needed those are from time to time. Second, you would be supporting a fantastic cause to raise money for such an integral part of this Boston College Campus. The Campus School at Boston College is a private, non-profit, publicly funded, special-education day school and therefore, every donation is significant and goes a long way in the classroom. Third, the winner of the tournament receives a free foursome to the Campus School’s Spring Golf Tournament Fundraiser!!!

How can others get involved with Campus School?

NW: You can email the officers at campusschoolvolunteers@gmail.com or you can always stop by the school at any time, there is always someone there happy to show you around! The entrance is in the main lobby on the first floor of Campion.

Sources:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7bubKNFVZvE/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.hercampus.com/sites/default/files/2014/05/08/campus%20school%…

http://www.hercampus.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_embed/pub…

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.