Big Jesuit on Campus: Father Casey Beaumier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

You’ve heard the word a million times: Jesuit.  In coming to BC, students have various levels of familiarity with the Society of Jesus.  Some kids specifically choose Boston College for its Jesuit identity, while others learn about Jesuits for the first time once they get here.  However, it soon becomes clear that the Ignatian tradition has a strong presence on campus. 

Sometimes they are easy to spot, wearing black pants, black shirts and white collars.  Other times, they are difficult to pick out from the crowd of people milling about campus.  There are Jesuits all around BC promoting St. Ignatius’ mission- teaching in classrooms, celebrating masses, attending retreats and cheering as SuperFans.  Every Jesuit has a unique story and a personal reason for joining the order. 

There is one Jesuit in particular that every BC student should meet: Fr. Casey Beaumier.  If you do not already know him, you have probably seen him running around campus or heard him give a homily in St. Joe’s Chapel.

At just 40 years old, he is certainly one of the youngest Jesuit priests at Boston College.  A native North Dakotan, Fr. Casey is a long way from home. Like us, he attended a Jesuit university. He graduated from Marquette in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  In addition to most of his family attending Marquette, he was also attracted to the school’s great publications program.  Becoming a priest was nowhere on his radar as an undergrad; he was studying journalism with hopes of becoming a magazine editor. 

His life changed direction when he became an RA at Marquette.  In many ways, the role of an RA mirrors that of priest, as both positions are resources for people.  He credits his experience as an RA for teaching him how to love, help, and be available for others.  He quickly found a mentor, role model and friend in a Jesuit staff member.  This particular Jesuit became Fr. Casey’s spiritual director, helping him when he was confused about school or RA situations.  As their friendship developed, their conversations slowly changed into topics of spirituality and faith.  Fr. Casey highly respected this Jesuit and was attracted to the way he lived, sparking a desire in him to join the Jesuits during his junior and senior years. 

The moment he graduated from Marquette, he knew he wanted to become a Jesuit.  He entered the Society of Jesus in 1993 and has now been a Jesuit for 17 years.  He ends his story with a smirk, saying “And that Jesuit I grew so close with at Marquette is now the president of our school.”  Yes, it was our own Fr. Leahy that inspired Fr. Casey to become a Jesuit! 

Fr. Casey is now in his 5th year at Boston College.  He has taught core history courses in the past, but is not teaching this year since he is busy as a doctoral student.  He has lived on Upper Campus for the past 3 years, and is currently residing in Fenwick Hall among freshmen.    

Being a Jesuit has brought much joy to Fr. Casey.  He feels highly satisfied and grateful for his life with the Society of Jesus, believing it has given him the opportunity to give back.  As someone who was once a student with many questions and concerns, he appreciates being able to help students here in the same way.  Fr. Casey lives his life trying to do for others as has been done for him. 

Since he attended Marquette and Fr. Leahy was his spiritual director, Fr. Casey never even considered joining the Archdiocese; he knew he wanted to become a Jesuit priest.  He likes that the Society of Jesus focuses on teaching and student formation.  He believes teaching is part of his vocation, but he understands education as a means, not an ends, to reaching students. 

He tries to be a resource to students outside of the classroom as well.  The door of Fenwick 100, where he lives, is typically propped open so he can be available to students.  He is also known to bake delicious cinnamon rolls on Game Day!  He wants students to know that they are always welcome- whether they are seeking support, guidance, or even just conversation. 

In addition to working on his dissertation and presiding over masses, Fr. Casey also founded the BC s’UPPER T Club on campus.   He accompanies a group of students on select weekends throughout the year as they explore Boston cuisine together.  Placing a large map of the MBTA lines on the ground, they throw a beanbag down.  The group then travels on the T to whichever stop the beanbag landed on and picks a restaurant to try.  They get to experience new parts of Boston, as well as delicious food, including Southern, Thai, Indian, Italian, Pakistani.  All are welcome and more information can be found online

Fr. Casey jokes that many students probably think “he’s very strange.”  But in talking to him, one will quickly discover that Fr. Casey is a very funny person.  In his daily Examination (an Ignatian spiritual exercise that Jesuits and many students perform), he always asks himself if he has laughed in the past 24 hours.  Humor and joy are incredibly important, as he believes life without humor is “just pathetic.”  If you would like to see this humor for yourself, you can hear Fr. Casey’s Sunday evening homilies at St. Joseph, or join him on the BC s’UPPER T Club excursions.  Or you can simply email him at beaumier@bc.edu.  He is certainly someone you should get to know!

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.
Brittany is passionate about the development of communities, both online and offline. As the Director of Community Development & Strategic Programming for Her Campus Media, Brittany oversees the development and growth of the Her Campus Chapter and Alumni Networks. She also oversees internal professional development and mentorship programming for current students and postgrads, including the first annual 22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women list. Currently, Brittany spearheads programming and production of Her Campus's tentpole conference series - Her Conference and Her Conference: High School - and the production of College Fashion Week 2015.Brittany's pastimes include listening to live music, reading books in their physical form, being outdoors, and consuming way too much coffee. She is an alumna of Boston College and currently lives in Austin, TX. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.