Best Places to Study Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

As finals loom closer and closer, I constantly find myself trying to discover the best place to study off campus. Sure, Bapst and O’Neill are great during the school year, but the week before finals, no thank you. It just seems like the student population triples in size and they all flock to the libraries at the same time, making it nearly impossible to find somewhere to sit. And you can forget about focusing when there are 500 people around you furiously typing and/or loudly conducting group study sessions or project meetings in the middle of the library (major sideye on that one). I prefer to study somewhere off campus where it is quieter and easier to focus on what needs to get done. So, here is a list of the best places that I have found to study near BC.

1. Starbucks in Cleveland Circle—While this may seem like an obvious choice, it really is a great place to get work done. It has free Wi-Fi, plenty of outlets, and endless amounts of caffeine. I usually find that the music  they play is not too loud for studying, but not too quiet that I find myself falling asleep (could also be the constant supply of venti drinks keeping me awake). You do have to get there early because it fills up fast.

1. Panera in Newton Center—I love Panera for studying because there are usually lots of people doing work there on weekends, which makes it a great environment for focusing. The Panera in Newton Center is particularly perfect for studying because of the quiet room located in the back of the restaurant with a large fireplace and comfy chairs. I have been in there plenty of times and have never had a problem with noise. Panera is also great because if you get hungry, you can walk right over and grab some food without having to haul all of your stuff from the library to the dining hall, or anywhere else for that matter.

1. Boston Public Library—The Boston Public Library is located in Copley Square which is just a quick ride up the D line from BC. It really is only about a fifteen to twenty minute ride on the T, and it is perfect for studying. If you like a really quiet environment with beautiful rooms and a cozy atmosphere, this is the perfect place for you. It gives you the library feel without all of the people surrounding you.

Whether you like studying in solitude, or hanging out alongside friends, these places are a great alternative to studying on campus. We all need to get out of the BC bubble once in a while, and finals is a great opportunity for it, so why not try someplace new to study? You might just love it. Good luck on finals collegiettes!

Photo Sources:

http://www.starbuckseverywhere.net/images/26/DSCN26000.jpg

http://www.linearretail.com/wp-content/uploads/storage-space-for-lease-Newton-MA-1024×682.jpg

http://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/image-files/boston-public-library-10.jpg

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.