Being Rapunzel at Relay for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I finally did it. After about ten years of saying I would, I finally donated my hair at BC’s Relay for Life, nine inches to be exact, and I have to say I couldn’t be happier. I wish I could have had the guts to do it years ago. Not only does my hair look super cute, but it was also for such an amazing cause. If you’ve ever thought of donating your hair, but just aren’t sure – read my article and see why I think it’s a great idea.  

BC Relay for Life teamed up with Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths. Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths donates free, real-hair wigs to the American Cancer Society’s wig banks, which distribute wigs to cancer patients across the country.

My hair has always been a source of pride for me. As annoying and messy as it got, it was one of my favorite things. I was the girl that frequently cried during haircuts, even just trims. As recently as last year, I had a complete meltdown when I got my hair cut in the BC area, by an establishment that I will not name, and it was cut completely crooked, about two inches longer on one side compared to the other. Since then, I got my hair evened out and it grew extremely long in the past year. I decided it was time to just go for it!

Why I Don’t Miss My Hair

Unlike Rapuntzel’s hair, my hair didn’t hold any magical powers. Hair is hair and it will grow back.

• It no longer takes a full day to naturally dry
  • My electric bill is definitely lower now that I no longer have to spend 40 minutes to blow-dry it
  • My hair requires about a ¼ less shampoo and conditioner. Yay for saving money!

But the most important reason I don’t miss my hair is because I realized that someone else needed it more.

Will I Be Donating Again?

ABSOLUTELY! Aside from the compliments I receive on a daily basis about my hair cut, I really do love how it looks. I love the feeling of knowing how much my hair will mean to someone going through so much. If my stupid hair could bring a little joy into their life, I’d gladly cut it again!

If You’re Thinking About Donating Your Hair, There Are Some Things You Should Know:

• There is a minimum of an eight inch donation
  • Hair cannot be dyed or bleached
  • It cannot be more than 5% gray

If you’re not sure if you’re hair is eligible for donation, just ask a hairdresser and they can tell you if you meet the requirements.

Even though I’m still adjusting to my now much shorter hair, I’m very happy that I decided to donate it. I don’t know why I was so scared to do it before. Hair grows back and as much as some of us think our hair is magical, it’s not.  

Katherine ValentinoSenior in A&S English Major Minor in American Studies, concentration in journalism 
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum