BC in Review: Pumpkin Spice Latte

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

If there is any one thing that signifies the fall season for me, it is the pumpkin spice latte.  Being a coffee addict and lover of all things pumpkin-flavored, I consider the pumpkin spice latte the most perfect coffee drink for my favorite season of the year.  The delicious blend of spices combined with a bold pumpkin flavor epitomizes fall time and I do not consider it be fall time unless I have consumed my first pumpkin spice latte of the year.  For those of you non-coffee drinkers out there, this delicious concoction is created with espresso, steamed milk, pumpkin-flavored syrup and spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.  Delish!

Although I believe Starbucks has artfully mastered this autumnal combination, I unfortunately do not have enough time (or money) to allow for frequent trips to Starbucks in pursuit of this scrumptious beverage.  Therefore, I was thrilled when I saw that the BC Chocolate Bar offered a pumpkin spice latte, made from Peet’s Coffee and Tea products.  Of course, I had to give it a try.

As I am writing this article, I am enjoying a pumpkin spice latte from The Chocolate Bar in Stokes Hall. Although my standards are high, I have to say that I am very pleased with this beverage. The temperature upon serving was optimal and the milk was steamed to a tasty frothy consistency.  The pumpkin flavor is strong, yet not overwhelming, and does not leave a bitter aftertaste in my mouth.  The fall spices are prominent and well balanced.  The flavors and aroma remind me of Thanksgiving dinner and dessert- not a bad way to get my afternoon caffeine fix!

For you Starbucks devotees out there, I am still unsure if this latte would beat the Starbucks version, but it is a pretty good rival- I guess only a blind taste test would reveal the superior latte, a challenge I would be happy to undertake.

So the next time you find yourself at The Chocolate Bar in need of a delicious and seasonal caffeine kick that will bring you right to the Thanksgiving day dinner table, try ordering the pumpkin spice latte!

Photo Sources:

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/842079/pumpkin-spice-latte

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michelinemaynard/2013/09/22/how-starbucks-turned-pumpkin-spice-into-a-marketing-bonanza/ 

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum