This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It can be the bane of our existence during the week or a source of entertainment on a Friday night. It can be quiet, calm, and peaceful or it can be similar to a monkey’s cage at the zoo with people swinging from the bars. What could possibly provide us with such polar opposite experiences? The BC bus. Whether it is the Comm Ave or Newton Bus, we rely on these buses to transport us to class, from class, and to various parts of Cleveland Circle. Recently, I have experienced some awful BC bus etiquette so I decided to come up with a list of 10 rules to which we should all adhere to while riding the bus. Trust me, it will only make it a better experience for all involved.

1. Do not and I repeat DO NOT eat smelly food on the bus. Do your fellow eagles a favor and leave the buffalo chicken pizza in the dining hall where it belongs.
  2. Do not be that person who throws up on the bus on the weekend, just don’t. There is nothing worse than getting on the bus and realizing too late that there is vomit all over the seats and the doors are already closed so you are left with that awful stench the entire way home.
  3. Give up your seat to an elderly person or a person who looks like they need it more than you. This one should go unsaid, but a little reminder never hurt anybody. Just because it is a BC bus does not mean you should force the little old lady taking the bus to Reservoir to stand up through the quick stops and frequent jolts of the BC bus.
  4. Do not talk on the phone to the point where I can hear your whole conversation. I mean if I can hear both you and your mother talking about your day, then maybe it is a bit too loud.
  5. Say thank you to the bus drivers! They are not our personal servants and should be thanked for the excellent service they provide us each and every day. Trust me, a quick thank you goes a long way and they always seem to appreciate it.
  6. Try to refrain from falling into our old habit of the BC look away. If you are going to be stuck on the bus with that person for some period of time just smile!
  7. Don’t treat it as your own personal jungle gym. While it may seem like a brilliant idea at 1 a.m. on the weekend, it does not seem like such a great idea to the people around you.
  8. Please try to refrain from PDA on the bus. It just makes everyone uncomfortable.
  9. Don’t try to squeeze on the bus. I mean we are all guilty of doing this at some point or another in order to make it on time to a class or meeting, but if you have time to walk then please don’t make the BC bus any tighter than it needs to be.
  10. Group singing when done well is a must on the BC bus. We have all heard it or joined in at one point in our time here. Keep singing, BC; you have a great voice!

Remember, the BC bus is a privilege not a right and so we should all do our part to make sure that the people who provide it for us are treated with respect.

Photo Sources:

http://bcheights.tumblr.com/post/12036532912/newton-bus-etiquette-dos-donts

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."