Back to School Shopping: Totes vs. Backpacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

By Katie Barry

Back to school means lots of shopping, and it seems like every fall, I am always in the market for a new school bag. After dropping what feels like ten million dollars on textbooks, it is important to find something both affordable and adorable, and hopefully something that can last. Between throwing bags on the floor of the Comm Ave bus, dragging them through snow and rain storms,  and spilling Hillside coffee in them, bags don’t seem to make it more than a few semesters before they need to be replaced.

While shopping around this summer, I was faced with the age-old question: tote or backpack? While there are pros and cons about both, I am definitely more of a tote bag kind of girl. I love the way they look and because my classes are split between different days, I am usually only carrying a few heavy books at a time. For my off campus job, it is also more practical to be able to throw a tote bag on my shoulder, rather than drag a backpack all around the city. But, tote bags are also associated with back pain and way less storage. For any girl who may be carrying more than the average student, a backpack may be a much better option.

If you are more of a backpack girl, there are so many cute options this season! Gone are the days of the plain LL Bean or Jansport backpacks that every single person in school had. So many designers have now jumped on the backpack bandwagon, and there are tons of affordable and fun options that would make a great accessory for any girl on campus. Here are a few ideas to get you started for your back to school bag shopping!

Clockwise from top left: Longchamp Le Pliage, The North Face Jester Backpack, Madewell The Transport Rucksack¸ Herschel Heritage Plus¸ Michael Kors Jet Set Travel Tote, Vineyard Vines Classic Tote

Image Sources:

http://thepinkandgreenprep.blo…

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum