Anytime, Anywhere Workouts: Fitness Podcasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Gym memberships are too expensive.  I don’t have the equipment.  I don’t know what I’m doing.  I have no motivation.  We’ve all heard and used these excuses to avoid working out.  But now, thanks to the workout podcast, a great exercise session is just a click away!

When you think of podcasts, NPR, This American Life, and Car Talk probably come to mind.  These are interesting podcasts, but listening to old men muse about the sounds that the radiator in their ’67 Ford pickup once made can get pretty boring.

My idea of the podcast changed when I found The Power Yoga with Dave Farmar podcast.  I discovered Dave during my senior year of high school.  I was looking for some solace from the stress of college applications and, with no gym nearby, decided to look for a workout podcast.  What I found was an amazing (not to mention FREE) yoga workout with the added bonus of inner tranquility.  I was hooked and have subscribed to Dave’s podcast for almost three years now.

Dave leads a yoga practice called Baptiste Power Vinyasa Yoga and it’s quite challenging.  He explains the poses and alignment in great detail, but prior experience is recommended.  His humor and therapist-quality mantras have made me a devoted listener.  His jokes almost make me forget all the chaturanga push-ups and utkatasanas (yoga squats) in the practice.

With the large variety of fitness podcasts available, there’s no excuse to not work out.  All you need is your computer, iPod, or iPhone.  Here are just a few of my favorite fitness podcasts:

• If you’re a cardio lover:

Couch to 5k (C25K) – This podcast is now an iPhone app that gets you off the couch and running 5k in 9 weeks.

• For all you Yogis:

Dave Farmar Power Yoga – Challenging audio yoga practices ranging from 60 to 105 minutes.
Yogadownload.com – 20-minute yoga practices with downloadable pose guides make these practices very easy to follow.

• And if you prefer Pilates:

Pilates of Center of Bend – This podcast has short Pilates videos to help you tone your core.

Photo Sources:
http://www.ednewscolorado.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/podcast.jpg
http://www.davefarmar.com/
http://www.burnthefat-secrets.com/ 

Chloe Green-Vamos joined the Her Campus team as a Branch Manager in September 2011. In this role she oversees 5 new My Campus branches and works with very talented writers and leaders in colleges across the U.S. Chloe first became involved with Her Campus in January of 2011 as a contributing writer for Her Campus BC. Chloe is a junior at Boston College in the A&S Honors Program majoring in French and Communication. Chloe spends her spare time doing yoga, cooking(what do you expect from a Southern girl),shopping and daydreaming about travel.
Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.