All About Rose Gold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Rose gold. A gorgeous, classic, and also somewhat mysterious metal. What is rose gold? And why do we love it so much [well, at least I love it]?

What is rose gold?

Rose gold is a metal mixture of gold and copper together—about a 3 to 1 ratio of gold to copper. Red, rose, and pink gold are all in the same sort of “rose gold family”, depending on how much copper is in the mixture. Some people can have an allergic reaction to copper, so test any rose gold jewelry before you wear it.

What are the benefits of rose gold?

It’s a trendy metal. It was big on all the runways last year, but it’s cooled off slightly as a major trend now. However, it’s a classic metal, and we’ll look at more reasons why below.

• It matches with a lot of everyday clothing colors, both dark and light! Again, it’s a more neutral color than pure gold or pure silver, so it looks good with everything from black to white, blue to red—and everything in between!
  • It complements all skin tones because of its neutral color. Rose gold has the same sort of effect as an accessory as blush does as a cosmetic. 
  • If you have a favorite medal or piece of jewelry that is gold or silver, rose gold is a good in-between that matches well with other metals, as it is less contrasting than silver and gold together.
  • It’s a romantic and kind of girl-y metal because of its pinkish color—which some people may love and some people may not. However, because of this, it gives a feminine and delicate feel to any rose gold accessory you wear.
  • If you’re going for real jewelry, it tends to be less expensive than other metals because it is partially copper. [This isn’t always the case, of course, but it’s a fair rule of thumb.] Cheap rose gold can be just as gorgeous, though.
  • Ultimately, rose gold accessories always leave you with a classy and put-together look in a formal or casual situation.

Picture Sources:

www.pinterest.com

http://www.fantasyjewelrybox.com/Images/ProductFull/62729-4727/set-of-3-silver-gold-rose-gold-plated-2mm-plain-sterling-silver-bands.jpg

http://zales.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pZALE1-6911099t400.jpg

I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.