7 Simple Efforts to Help the Environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Scientists have recently been releasing loads of data regarding climate change and pollution, topics that a lot of people just don’t know very much about. A film recently released by National Geographic called Before the Flood with Leonardo DiCaprio portrayed the changes the Earth has already endured and the many more to come. It’s important to know how each one of us can do our part to help save the environment. I, personally, am nowhere near as eco-friendly as I’d like to be, but here are some simple efforts I make to do my part.

1. Invest in a reusable water bottle

This tip is almost pointless, as almost everyone on college campuses already use reusable water bottles. However, if you’re a disposable bottle kind of person, consider switching sides. So much of plastic waste comes from reusable water bottles each year, not to mention the barrels of oil used to make those bottles. Take this chance to buy yourself a cool water bottle (I highly recommend a Nalgene – I’ve had mine for almost 12 years!) and help save the planet in the process. Plus, there’s almost ALWAYS somewhere close to fill up your water bottle.

2. Bring a travel mug with you

For the past couple of months I’ve been carrying my mug with me around campus. I’m constantly getting coffee and tea from the dining halls and various coffee shops on campus, so it’s actually pretty practical to use my own mug! This way I’m not using 4+ paper/plastic cups each day, and coffee shops don’t mind at all if you want to use your own mug – some people are even inspired to do the same! This is another excuse to invest in a really nice mug for yourself! I recommend getting one of those double-walled stainless steel travel mugs.

3. Avoid using K-cups with Keurigs

I know what you’re thinking – HOW? It’s actually a lot easier than you think! Using K-cups obviously creates a lot of plastic waste, so it’s better to invest in the reusable coffee filter (pictured below) and buy grounds, instead! Buying grounds is SO MUCH cheaper than buying K-cups, and the added effort is totally worth it for your wallet and your taste buds! My coffee always seems to taste better when I use grounds instead of a K-cup!

4. Re-use or avoid plastic bags

Sometimes plastic bags are simply unavoidable, but there are ways to reduce the amount of plastic wasted! Avoiding plastic bags all together has been made a lot easier with the reusable grocery tote bags (seen below) which aren’t hard to travel with! However, if using a plastic bag can’t be avoided, make sure to reuse that bag for other purposes! My roommates and I keep a stash of them for trash can liners!

5. Take advantage of public transportation

If you don’t have a car on campus, this tip isn’t for you! If you do have a car on campus, which is definitely super convenient for certain things, try to use public transportation if it’s not necessary that you drive. This can save you money on gas and parking while also helping the environment!

6. Be energy-conscious

My parents always taught me to shut the light off when I leave a room, but some people aren’t as lucky to have learned this at a young age. We should aim to be using as little energy as possible at all times! This means shutting off lights when we don’t need them, shutting off TVs that nobody is watching, unplugging chargers when we’re not using them, and many other small efforts that can have such a large impact on our energy use! Conserving energy is one of the easiest and most direct ways we can help the environment.

7. Conserve water

Access to clean, running water is widely taking for granted in first world countries, especially the USA. However, just because it’s seemingly always available doesn’t mean there’s an endless supply. Conserving water is important for our local ecosystems, ocean life, and for conserving energy. Conserving water can also save you money if (and when) you pay for utilities! The bottom line is that clean water is limited, so shorten your showers, shut off the water while you brush your teeth, and fill your sink while you’re watching dishes!

Sources

http://www.fullstoppublishing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/blog-eco-friendly-graphic-design.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/330803946010-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Blue_1000_ml_Nalgene_everyday_wide_mouth_bottle_2.JPG

Molly is a senior at Boston College studying Communication and Political Science. She is currently a Campus Corespondent for Her Campus BC and is looking forward to writing articles! She loves to travel, hangout with her friends, and go on adventures. Her mantra is "If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be" - Maya Angelou.