5 Things Everyone With a Late Birthday Hears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

On November 8th, 1995, the world was graced with my presence for the first time. On August 29th, 2013, Boston College was graced with my presence for the first time, other than orientation, when I officially moved in to my freshman year dorm. So, if you didn’t do the math in your head, that means I was still seventeen when I started college. While I realize that I am not the only BC student to do this, it has been my experience that the majority of students experience their eighteenth birthday before starting their freshman year. So, as a sophomore who just turned 19 two weeks ago, I decided to compile a list of the five most common things I heard from people after telling them I was only turning the young age of 19, along with my reactions to them. I’m sure anyone with a late birthday can relate.

1.     “OMG, you’re such a baby!”

Yes, everyone. I am young for my age. However, do you see me carrying a pacifier and baby blankie? No. I’m nineteen YEARS, not months, old.

2.“So you won’t turn twenty-one until your senior year?!?!? That’s horrible!”

Indeed. I won’t be celebrating my twenty-first birthday until probably around the last home football game senior year. However, I see this as a positive. My 21st birthday weekend will be the last out of all of my friends. So, it’ll be a way to end the year of 21st birthdays with a bang before we start feelin’ 22. (Yes, that was a Taylor Swift reference.)

3. “Wow. I feel sooooo old right now.”

I can’t really blame whoever says this, considering I say it almost every day now that my little brother and sister are going through the high school and college application processes. But, unless this is said to me by a senior citizen (which it never was), the person is most likely not old at all.

4. “Shouldn’t you be a freshman?”

Kind of. I’m from New York, so the cutoff date where I live is December 31st. However, if I lived pretty much anywhere else, I would be a freshman right now.

5. “So you’re still a teenager? I’m SO jealous.”

I have to admit, still being a teenager does have its perks. I have one year left to use the excuse of “I’m only a teenager” whenever I make a mistake. Once the big 2-0 hits, that excuse flies out the window, and I can’t blame incompetency or laziness on my age. I plan to milk this excuse as much as possible in the next 51 weeks until I leave teenagerdom.

Next time someone pities you for having a late birthday, think about the positives. No one can be forever young, but the good news is, you’re just a little bit closer to it.

Sources:

Victoria is a sophomore in CSOM at Boston College, majoring in Business Management with a Marketing concentration. She is also involved in the Student Admission Program and is a freshman mentor for the Compass Fellowship. When she's not at BC, you'll find her spending her days on the sand in her hometown of Rockaway Beach, a suburb of New York City. She enjoys going to concerts, traveling, watching Gossip Girl and Scandal, and pretending she's Beyoncé.
Niloufar is a senior at Boston College, majoring in French and English.