The 5 Summer Trips You Need to Take This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

1. The Classic Beach Trip

Beach trip with my friend Lex last summer!

Find the nearest beach, some fun friends, and a cooler and you’re all set. Whether you spend a day at a beach near your house, or pile a bunch of friends into a car and head to a beach out of state, this is the quintessential summer trip that will leave you feeling rejuvenated and full of energy for those long hours at your summer job.

Alternative: The Backyard Staycation. Set out a lawn chair, make fresh lemonade, and sunbathe from the privacy of your own backyard.

2. The Road Trip

From a road trip with my mom out West!

This is the ultimate college trip. Pick a place that you’ve never been, and drive there with your best friends.  Stop at every tacky tourist attraction you see. Make a bomb playlist and sing loudly. Stock up on caffeine and popcorn and camp out under the stars. Take as many polaroids and Instagrams as you can.  Just don’t forget to factor in the cost of gas!

Alternative: The Hometown Daytrip. Explore something new in your hometown or neighboring city. Check out a new museum exhibit, try the hip new restaurant, or browse the accessories at the boutique that popped up out of nowhere. 

3. The Volunteer Service Trip

From my service trip to Belize!

Whether you are pre-med or political science, there is a service trip that can utilize your skills. Your best bet is a church or non-profit organization – these groups are always looking for enthusiastic college kids to give their time and resources to areas where people are struggling with poverty or oppression. 

Alternative: Volunteer Locally. You don’t have to travel to serve other people. There is guaranteed to be a need to meet wherever you are. Volunteer at the animal shelter, hospital, or tutor kids for the summer!

4. The Girls Trip.

From our girls trip to NYC last summer!

Have a friend who is not living in your hometown anymore, or is interning somewhere fun? Grab some friends and visit for the weekend! Explore the city, catch up, and enjoy celebrating anything and everything! 

Alternative: Girls Night. Break out the mud masks, chick flicks, and photo albums. Make it a grown up girls sleepover with some custom cocktails and

5. The Abroad Adventure. 

At the Berlin Wall during my time abroad!

If you have the time, use the summer for some hardcore travel. Backpack through Europe, visit a friend who is studying abroad for the summer, or join a travel group through Southeast Asia. The opportunities are limitless and can be as expensive as you make them. Traveling abroad during the summer is perfect if you didn’t go abroad during the school year, and can open your eyes to how beautiful the world truly is.

Hopefully these ideas will inspire you to travel this summer. Have fun, be safe, and don’t forget to tag @HerCampusBC in posts from your adventures!

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum