3 Ways to Break Into the Fashion Industry Without a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Let’s be honest, we’re not on The Hills and landing cool internships at places like Teen Vogue isn’t easy. If you haven’t landed an internship for the summer, don’t beat yourself up. There’s still plenty of things you can do over the next few months to build your resume, make money, and most importantly do something you love in the fashion industry.

1. Work at a Retail Store

If you’re dream is to be a buyer for stores like Intermix or Nordstrom, you can bet that working as a Sales Associate in that particular store is an ideal way to get your foot in the door. Folding clothes and working the register may not be glamorous, but it will be a lot cooler when you submit your resume to the buying department and have first hand experience of what it’s like to work in the actual store.

Who knows, maybe you’ll rub elbows with some managers who can get you an informational interview with the corporate team. #winning

2. Create a Blog

Everyone and their mom is starting a blog. This may be the exact reason why you’re discouraged from starting your own, but at the same time if you’re not getting in the blogging game you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Start simple by using website templates from squarespace.com, for example. Even if you have a small following, post consistently. Just once a week! Without an internship, you’ll have enough time on your hands to get it started. A professional online presence that proves you have a passion for fashion will position you as a top-runner when applying to future internships.

3. Run Your Own Fashion Biz

If staying indoors at the local mall or being stuck behind a computer all day is completely unappealing to you, starting your own fashion biz is the answer. If starting your own biz sounds intimidating don’t worry, there’s companies like Trend Tribe that provide the products, training, tools, and resources you need to succeed as a student entrepreneur.

The real world experience you gain from working with companies like Trend Tribe help you stand out from the thousands of qualified girls who are competing for the same internship as you. Plus, you get to make money and earn free jewelry doing something you love!

So if you’re feeling discouraged about not having an internship this summer, take a deep breath and feel a sigh of relief. There’s still plenty of ways to build up your resume so that you can land the internship of your dreams next semester. 

Photo Sources: 

http://instagram.com/trend_tribe

Katherine ValentinoSenior in A&S English Major Minor in American Studies, concentration in journalism 
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum