The 10 Types of People You Always See at the Airport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I love traveling. The excitement of going to a new place, taking amazing pictures, and being with your closest family or friends is awesome. Yet each time I jet off to a new destination, I am fascinated by the people that I see in the airport. People watching is a great pastime, and there’s no better place to do it than in an airport. Here are the 10 types of people you always see in an airport:

1. The Exhausted Mother

She has been up since 3:30am with her four kids, trying to get them all through security as quickly as possible. She’s folding up a stroller with one hand, feeding goldfish to a kid with another, and yelling at everyone to take off their shoes and coats.

2. The Super Serious Business Man

He’s the one talking on his iPhone up until the plane actually takes off. Then he whips out his laptop, types furiously, and gets angry when the flight attendant tells him he must put it away for landing. A copy of “The Wall Street Journal” can be found under his seat.

3. The Outlet Hogger

Yes, the charging stations at the gate are the best things ever, but not so much when someone is charging their phone, portable charger, laptop, iPad, and camera. Seriously, do you really need all those things?

4. The Sports Team

Whether it’s a volleyball tournament in Florida or a Hockey tournament in Minnesota, there will be a pack of teenagers decked out in their team’s gear. Matching backpacks, shoes, and warm-ups are a given. 

5. The Woman who ~clearly~ Knows More Than the Flight Attendant

She is convinced that priority boarding is free, her checked bags are under the weight limit, and that her six-year-old son should fly for free. She holds up the line at the gate with people who have actual questions.

6. The Honeymooners

This is the couple who is on their honeymoon and generally won’t let anything get them down. Delayed flight? Who cares, we just got married! We have to be put on standby? That’s okay, we get to spend more time together! It’s kinda cute when you think about it…

7. The Woman Who Doesn’t Understand Security

She is wearing her winter parka, a NorthFace vest, big snow boots, earrings, bracelets, and a necklace, and forgets to put her laptop in a separate container. She gets pulled aside because her carry-on bag is too big.

8. The Restaurant and Bar Enthusiast

What better reason to get to the gate 3 hours early than to buy a $15 margarita and then hit up Legal Sea Foods for $30 Lobster Bisque? Obviously airport bars and restaurants are better than average.

9. The Man with B.O

He’s in the line over at security, and you can already smell it. Then he is in the Starbucks line ahead of you, and guess who ends up at your gate? You guessed it; you’re just hoping he’s not your seat buddy.

10. The Elderly Couple who is Too Cute to Handle

They’re probably just visiting their grandchildren or going on a cruise in the Bahamas; either way, seeing them is adorable and is totally #RelationshipGoals. 

Next time you’re at the airport, make sure to keep an eye out for these people! See what other ones you can add to the list!

Sources:

http://theodysseyonline.com/salve-regina/11-thoughts-airport/367334

http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA3LzA1LzBhL2V4Y2l0ZWRiYWJ5LjlhZ…

https://45.media.tumblr.com/63552f5aeb11b4f241588dae3f067647/tumblr_nmbe…

Diana is a freshman at BC this year majoring in biology on a pre-med track. In her limited free time she enjoys running the res, finding the best fro-yo places around, and spending time with the awesome people she's met!
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.