10 Things To Never Be Caught Doing at Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Many of us will be entering the workforce for the first time this summer. Whether taking on a new job or internship, we all want to make sure we make the most of the experience there. In order to learn the most, move up the success ladder and build a good reputation at your job, here are some things you should never be caught doing at work:

1. Applying for other jobs and internships

This is one of the worst things to be caught doing at work or your internship. Even if you are unhappy or looking for a change in your job, you are putting yourself at risk to an early boot by searching for other jobs and internships. By showing a lack of commitment to your current job, others will see you as someone not interested in the position, and may consider looking for someone who shows commitment. Save those job searches for home.

2. Gossiping 

As much as we like being in the know at work, the information being shared at work should be more professional and less personal. Most importantly, you do not want to be known as the beacon of gossip in the office. Word does travel fast, and the last thing you want are your words to be disfigured into a bad message and potentially one that hurts your relationship with a co-worker. Gossiping at work makes you difficult to trust, and trust is crucial to being indispensible in your job or internship.

3. Texting

Whether at your desk, in a meeting or even at the copy machine, texting for personal purposes should not happen. Although there are the exceptions of emergencies or expecting an important call or text, one’s phone is best left in your bag from the moment you enter the office to the moment you leave.

4. Browsing social media

Being caught on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest at work is a HUGE no-no! It screams unprofessional because it shows you are not taking your job seriously. Although there are a good amount of jobs that encourage social media for business purposes in the workplace, make sure it is limited to this. As soon as you open your Facebook feed, you are opening Pandora’s box of distractions, procrastination and disrespect for your job.

5. Raiding the snacks

Nothing beats an office that provides free snacks for you, but the endless availability of the snacks does not mean that you should have a free for all. We all need to share the snacks. If you suffer from the hungry horrors at work, it is a safe bet to pack your own healthy snacks to satisfy your appetite in your desk or bag.

6. Eating smelly leftovers for lunch 

Whatever you bring for lunch should not have a smell that attracts attention in a bad way. As much as we loved that Chinese food or spicy Indian dish last night for dinner, it may not produce the best aroma coming from the microwave. We all love eating and chatting with co-workers on our lunch break, and the less smelly your lunch the more likely you are to attract people to you.

7. Online Shopping

Although I wish that online shopping was my profession, it is not in my job role requirements, so it should not be done at the office. The last thing you want is your boss or a fellow co-worker to come up behind you and instead of adding data to a report you are adding clothes to your shopping cart.

8. Flirting with a Co-Worker 

Leaving a lasting impression at your job is definitely important, but an impression of the office flirt is not the one you want to make. It makes the environment both tense and awkward for everyone there. Although there is nothing wrong with wanting to get closer to a co-worker, any dating or flirting should be done outside of the office.

9. Getting Too Cozy in Your Cubby

We all know that work and internship hours can be long and tiring at times, but this does not mean you can make yourself too at home at your desk. Slouching to the point you are falling off your chair is not only inappropriate but also bad for your productivity. According to Louise Shipley at Fellowes, “Good posture can not only help you make a good impression on your employer and colleagues form a visual aspect but it can also make you more productive in your job.”

10. Dressing inappropriately

Although many offices have adopted a dress-down dress code, this does not mean that it should be taken to the extreme. As the wise Oscar Wilde said, “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” If jeans are ok, make sure they are not too tight, are free of rips and a dark denim is more appropriate. Most importantly NEVER show up to work in clothes from the night before. Doing the walk of shame on campus is embarrassing enough, but image the nightmare of having to do it in front of your boss and co-workers.

We all wish you the best of luck in your future jobs and internships. In order to show your boss and co-workers how talented you are, make sure to stay away from these big no-no’s in the workplace.

Article Sources:

http://assets.fellowes.com/press/Slouching_At_Work_Could_Cost_Your_Job_June12.pdf

Photo Sources:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Money/Pix/pictures/2009/11/23/1258974537630/Gossiping-about-work-rath-001.jpg

http://estatemade.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/oscar-wilde.jpg

http://specials-images.forbesimg.com/imageserve/08SRchYdKp5z2/0x600.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/PE/esq-smelly-snadwich-0611-lg.jpg

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum