10 Things to Keep in Mind for 1st Day of Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

How many times have you been told that first impressions always count? I am sure more than you count and the first week of school is a time of many first impressions: on classmates, friends, professors, faculty and roommates. Whether you are part of the Class of 2017 and taking your first freshman class or the Class of 2014 and not starting your senior schedule till after noon, here are some tips that may help make your first week of classes.

1. Arrive early.

Give yourself enough time to navigate the everchanging campus, grab your iced coffee from Hillside or the Chocolate Bar, get a good seat (somewhere you can both see and hear the professor comfortably), catch up with any friends you may know in the class and get your materials ready. Start on the right foot so that you are not distracted when the professor starts class.

2. Find the “right” study buddy in your class.

It is always great to have a friend in the class but make sure they are the responsible and reliable friend who is there for the same reason you are: class. Keep your class clown buddies for the weekend. You will be grateful for that perfect study buddy when it comes time for notes, studying and group projects.

3. There may be homework.

If there was reading for the class, don’t be surprised your professor wants to hear about it. Make sure you take pre-assignments seriously in the class and even the reading that is assigned for the first night of class. Keep up with the reading right of the bat because it is no fun to cram in 700-plus pages of reading during finals time.

4. Bring your laptop…if can handle it.

Laptops are a great way to keep up with the professor because they allow you to organize and type your notes. Make sure that your professor allows laptops in class though because some professors have strict “no techonology policies.” Also make sure that if you bring your laptop to class that you are using it for class and not checking out Twitter, BuzzFeed or your Facebook. As tempting as it may be, you can also read Her Campus after class too. Know your limits.

5. Keep up with the professor.

Be ready to pay close attention and jot down anything the professor may say. This is especially important in big classes where the professor does not have time to stop mid-lecture. It is good to write down side notes of questions that you have throughout the class because if you cannot ask them in class, you can always bring them to the professors’ or TA’s office hours.

6. Have an open mind about your classmates.

Bill Gates once said, “Be nice to nerds. Chances are you will end up working for one.” This means, don’t shut out any potential social connections in the classroom just because you’re happy with comfortable friends you already know. These peers could form a great study group and be just the kind of quick support you need when an assignment makes no sense one night. Never underestimate the ability of strong classmates to make a class experience easier. You can undoubtedly get lost in a college course when you’re completely on your own.

7. Be prepared to actually work.

Don’t be surprised that the first day isn’t just icebreakers, going over the syllabus and then a friendly farewell. Although class may start this way, make sure you bring materials to class so that you are prepared to work and make use of the full class time that the professor plans to teach for.

8. Start taking notes immediately.

The first day is the time when professors may go over their teaching styles, how to contact them, as well as specifics on expectations for the class. Taking notes on these aspects of the class can lead to a more successful semester. Also, some professor have slides prepared for the first day of classes they expect you to remember come test time. (I had a professor who tested us on a simple quote that was on the first slide she ever showed us in class.)

9. Pay attention to when your professor has office hours.

Office hours are a great way to have the professor get to know you on a personal basis, which is different than in high school or any other smaller university classes. A professor is more willing to help and provide opportunities for a student who has attentively come to them with questions throughout the semester than a student who shows up right before finals when they realize they aren’t ready. This isn’t brownnosing, it is being responsible by taking advantage of a good situation.

10. Dress to impress.

As cliché as it may be, I still believe in a good first day of school outfit. Professors and peers may take you more seriously if you look like you put time and effort into your outfit. Plus you never know what cutie may be checking you out as you look for your seat in class.

Photo Credits:

www.collegelifestyles.org

www.tumblr.com

www.guyisms.com

www.truecollegelife.wordpress.com

www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum