10 Lessons We Can Learn from Zooey Deschanel in “New Girl”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Fox’s sitcom New Girl has collegiettes across the country tuning in and laughing their college stress away! Living with three guys can be a zoo.  Zooey Deschanel is a sensational bombshell maneuvering her way through guy-land.

Here are 10 lessons that we can all learn from Deschanel’s character, Jess:

1. Polka dots and checks with baby farm animals on them have never been more fierce.
    When arguing with one of her roommate’s (Nick) girlfriends, Jess makes the claim that just because she is cutesy and wears polka dots doesn’t mean that she isn’t tough.  Don’t judge a girl when she writes you a check and it has little piglets playing around in the mud on it.  Jess is just as rough around the edges as any other lawyer chick!

2. You can still be girly if you’re one of the guys.
    With her beautiful looks and stunning outfits, Jess proves that she can slug down a few beers with the guys and still act like a lady.  Jess is classy, confident, and above all, she knows how to get down and dirty with her guy friends.  She can watch the game in a pretty dress and have no qualms about it!

3. Funny is sexy.
    The greatest thing about Deschanel’s acting in New Girl is that she’s not deliberately trying to be funny. Her natural demeanor is simply hilarious.  Jess proves that embracing all your quirky imperfections and saying what’s on your mind is funny.  Not only that, it’s attractive!

4. Bangs don’t have to be high maintenance.
    Only Zooey Deschanel can emerge from the shower with her hair perfectly quaffed.  After a run it looks like she just came from the hair salon.  Of course, some of this is attributed to the world of Hollywood and the makeup squad on set, but hey, give the girl some credit… bangs aren’t easy to pull off!

5. Everyone needs a group of hilarious and diverse friends.
    In every television sitcom, you have the well-established and diverse friend group.  New Girl glazes over many ethnic groups and creates a dynamic group of close-knit friends that you can’t help but fall in love with!

6. You need at least one great girlfriend.
    Between Schmidt, Nick, and Winston, Jess has her hands full.  Every “new girl” needs at least one trustworthy girlfriend to help her through the day.  After all, some of your womanly issues aren’t the best things to tell your closest guy friends (especially when they occasionally fantasize about you).  Thankfully for Jess, she has the character of Cece to rely on.  Although the guys can help you to an extent with the love-advice, you need a girl’s perspective and point of view when it comes down to the nitty-gritty secrets.

7. Sometimes you need to take risks in the game of love.
    In a recent episode, Nick tells Jess to “be a grown up” and go on a real date.  Sometimes we need the extra push to go outside of our comfort zone and develop real feelings for someone… especially when they’re for Dermot Mulroney (yes, that irresistible man from the Julia Robert’s classic My Best Friend’s Wedding).

8. As a teacher, you need to utilize every resource.
    On the show, Jess is an elementary school teacher.  She pulls out all the stops when she nabs a school bus to use as a party bus for her friend Schmidt’s birthday celebration.  Sometimes pushing the envelope and taking full advantage of your occupational resources can lead to a fun night with your friends!  Take notes, Lynch School students!

9. A girl needs her own bathroom.
    When you live with three guys who repetitively leave the seat up and leave their towels on the floor, you may need your own bathroom.  Having your own counter space can be glorious.  Trust me, Deschanel can’t look that gorgeous getting ready in a grimy bathroom.  When your roommates are fighting over using each other’s bar of soap or towel, it might be better to keep your things separate!

10. Friends are everything.
    As crazy as the dynamic is between Jess and her three best guy friends, after every episode, they prove the true power of friendship.  There isn’t anything that they wouldn’t do for each other.  Although every episode involves some sort of quarrel or dysfunctional adventure, at the end of the day, they are each other’s family.  Being the new girl isn’t so bad after all!

Photo Sources:
http://www.thezerosbeforetheone.com/8-unexpected-kick-ass-female-characters-on-tv/zooey-new-girl
http://itsjustjustin.com/the-new-girl-premiers-on-itunes-for-free/4773
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/03/new-girl-zooey-deschanel-jake-johnson-liz-meriwether-weigh-in-on-the-nick-and-jess-situation.html

Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.