10 Easy Ways to: Become a Runner!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Wind blowing against my face, wicking away my body’s tears of exhaustion.  Trees, houses, pebbles quickly passing in and out of my field of vision.  Long strides marked by a quick pounding of heel-toe, heel-toe.  Music flowing from my headphones into my entire being, guiding my rhythm and giving me the strength to power through.

There is nothing I have more passion for than the sport of running.  Ever since I started training for my first half-marathon (this past January’s Disneyworld Half Marathon), I have been addicted.  Now it’s your turn to put aside any worries and any preconceived notions you might have about running and just get outside and do it!  Soak in the sun (while the weather is still nice), clear your head, and let go of all your built up stress.  Here are ten easy tips to jumpstart your running!

1.  Invest in some new running gear
It will not only give you the confidence to get outside and run, but you’ll also look super cute!

2.  Make a killer playlist
Music is the ultimate motivator, so create a playlist with all your favorite, pump-up jams.

3.  Start with an easy and realistic goal
Make sure the goals you set are possible to achieve.  This might be running for ten minutes without stopping or running around the Res two times.  The more ridiculous or difficult a goal is, the more likely you’ll be to quit when you can’t attain it.

4.  Make a weekly plan and stick to it
I find motivation in my running calendar.  I sit down every Sunday and plan out what exercising I am going to do each day of the upcoming week.  I track my mileage, strength exercises, and even stretches.

5.  Find a running buddy
We’re social beings, so find a friend who wants to start running and create a little running club!  Talking while running is a great distraction and will make the time go by super fast.

6.  Always warm up and cool down
Warm ups are key to a successful workout.  Start with some light stretching and walking before you jump into your run.  The same applies for after workouts.  Cool down with some walking and spend some quality time stretching out your tight muscles.

7.  Rest
This is the most important part of running.  It’s critical that you take at least one day off from running a week.  This may seem like common sense, but once you get into running you won’t want to stop.

8.  Change up your routes and workouts
Try not to get in a running rut.  Try running your favorite route backwards or exploring an entirely new area.

9.  Create a running mantra
We all have days when we don’t feel like running or where our runs feel more difficult than usual.  For those days, a running mantra will make all the difference.  Mine has always been, “believe and achieve,” but a mantra can be anything.  For example, Olympic distance runner Kara Goucher uses the word “fighter” to power through her tough runs.  So find what works for you and put it to good use!

10.  HAVE FUN!
The most important part of running, or any exercise for that matter, is to have fun.  Enjoy every second of the workout and finish with a smile on your face!

Everyone can be a runner- it doesn’t matter if you run a mile or a marathon.  Start easy and enjoy every minute.  Remember that all runners start at the same place, and we’ve all struggled through our first mile, struggled to find motivation, struggled to find time, and struggled to continue our running hobbies.  So grab your iPod, lace up your sneakers, and hit the pavement.  You’re well on your way and who knows, your next stop might even be a 5k!

Photo Source:
Remy Hassett

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."
Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.