This Week’s Top 5 Distracting Apps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

This week I noticed something about me—I was more antsy and bored on my phone. I found myself switching back and forth between apps, trying to find one that could distract me the longest. I realized that this is a problem that millennials are facing—being told that we are always “looking down at our screens.” Of course, it is not always the case that we are playing games on our phones; we could be doing a plethora of things on our phones (including reading the news, or, playing games). Thanks to this generation’s brilliance of creating and promoting apps, there are plenty of ways to distract oneself—and here are the apps that I found myself most absorbed with this week.*

1. Social media sites: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
  2. Snapchat
  3. YikYak
  4. Games: Piano Tiles (2), Words with Friends, Trivia Crack
  5. Music and Shows: Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Video

*11/13/16 Update: Now that the elections are over, I am constantly on my phone, switching between Facebook and Twitter, reading people’s opinions on the election results. It is easy to be over-absorbed in what people are thinking. From what I am reading, almost everyone’s sentiments are the same. Take a break from all the news articles and judgements from people, and unhook yourself from your phone. This weekend I had the opportunity to go to the beach, and as cold as it was, I was still happy to be away and be around something that will always be constant: nature’s beauty. Being in nature is a powerful remedy to feeling depressed and filled with anxiety for the days to come. Taking care of yourself and your loved ones is the number one method to happiness. I hope you all know that you are loved, no matter how horrible you feel about our society and country.