The Thrill of It All: Sam Smith’s New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

At 25 years old, Sam Smith has made a name for himself and one that will never be forgotten. His soulful voice and charming songs have made everyone fall in love with at least one or two of his songs. He has collaborated with amazing voices like Mary J. Blige and John Legend. His second studio album The Thrill of It All has made it evidently clear that Sam Smith is a talented, dedicated, and powerful person.

It is clear that Smith is influenced by powerful voices like Adele and Amy Winehouse, there is not a single song on this album that falls short of this influence. He delivers depth, compassion, emotion, and empathy.

At the very beginning of his career in 2014, Smith was very public and open about his sexuality. In this album, he uses male pronouns and even has a song denouncing those opposing same-sex relationships. This album is politically and socially charged.

The first two singles off the album “Too Good at Goodbyes” and “Pray” were the first signs that Smith was on the verge of something unique.

“Nothing Left for You” is the eleventh track and one of the best. Within the first minute, you are guaranteed to get goosebumps. It has a gospel-esque sound with voices in the background that make it a very powerful performance. Anyone can relate to the emotions Smith portrays and describes, “I gave him everything/Now there’s nothing left for you.” He sings of something all well familiar: heartbreak that leaves one feeling a sense of hopelessness. The same goes for the twelfth song and the album namesake “The Thrill of it All.” This song is humble and repentful. Smith sings of getting very caught up in the moment and emotions. He lost sight of what he truly wanted and loved, “I remind myself of what I lost that night my love/In the thrill of it all.”

This is a captivating album that sheds light on the emotions one goes through both in life but in love.

Elizah Laurenceau is a senior at Bates College. Her hobbies consist of rewatching Call Me By Your Name, using Huji to take pictures, and playing with her dog. She spends her days either glued on her computer or late nights finishing up work.