Short Term 2018 Tunes: Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Are you in need of some happy, carefree tunes to jam out to when you’re hanging out with your friends during Short Term, soaking in the sunshine? Never fear, for great tunes are here!

“Better With You” by Michael Franti & Spearhead

This is such a great song. It’s an ode to love and happiness with a catchy beat and mood-lifting vibes. Michael Franti & Spearhead has so much great music to listen to when you want something peppy. Also great? “I’m Alive (Life Sounds Like).”

“San Francisco” by The Mowgli’s

Another song that’s really just plain fun. The Mowgli’s is an incredibly underrated band, and I highly recommend giving them a listen. Want more happy jams from The Mowgli’s? “Summertime” is also a blast.

“Oh Eleanor” by Forest Fire Gospel Choir

If you’re a fan of Kings of Leon, Alabama Shakes, Twin Forks, or Humming House, you just might like Forest Fire Gospel Choir. I know I do. I only recently learned about them, but once I heard “Oh Eleanor,” I knew I liked them. Their first EP was released in 2015 and “Oh Eleanor” was just released as a single, but I’m excited to hear what they release next.

“Someone to You” by BANNERS

I cannot count the number of times I’ve listened to this song in the past month. If you just read the lyrics, it might seem like a sad song, but the instrumentals and overall vibe of the song is super hopeful and upbeat. Trust me, this tune is worth a listen. Or a few hundred listens. Really. It’s that good.

“Be The One” by Dua Lipa

This isn’t the song she’s most known for, especially with the popularity of “New Rules,” but this is quite the bop. “Be The One” was actually released 2 years earlier, and I’m not sure why it never got as popular, because this song is incredible. It’s a great mood-booster, and I probably bothered my roommate with my blasting the song and dancing along with it when it came out.

“Run With Me” by Humming House

This is just an infectiously happy song. It starts off a bit slowly but picks up speed as more instruments and voices join in, and by the time it reaches the chorus, I can help but sing along. I’ve yet to play this for someone and not have them smiling by the end of the first chorus.

“Electric Love” by Børns

I’ve been in love with this song for years now, and I’m sure I get the goofiest smile on my face whenever it starts playing. It’s just a really great jam and so much fun to sing along to with friends. Side note: if you ever get the chance to see him live, take that chance. He’s somehow even better in-person than in recordings, and he’s pretty freaking amazing in recordings, in my opinion. I saw him while I was abroad in Copenhagen, and his talent and energy absolutely blew me away.

“Back To You” by Twin Forks

I’ll admit, I can be a sucker for a mandolin and harmonies, among other musical features. That’s probably at least part of the reason why I enjoy Twin Forks’s music so much, but a major reason why I love their music is that it’s just fun. It makes me want to get up and dance, arms spread out wide in the sunshine.

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.