This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

*If you have not already seen Tina Fey’s “sheet-caking” on SNL’s Weekend Update, please go find it on YouTube now and then continue reading.

I have tried many different coping mechanisms over the past year to deal with the extensive disappointments, violence, and failures, both in the world and in my personal life. At one point, I found myself in the middle of Target with my best friend, holding three gallons of ice cream while choosing which self-help book would be most effective this time around. There were outbursts of tears in public restrooms and public-school hallways; there were screaming matches in cars and on mountains. For the greater part of the time, I felt desperate, helpless, and misled. And I know I’m not the only one who has experienced these feelings. The problem is, despite the constant presence of these emotions, no one seems to know how to deal with them.   

That is where sheet-caking comes into play. It is a new form of expression that I would love to implement into my life for several reasons. Firstly, because Tina Fey is amazing. Why wouldn’t I want to be more like her? Secondly, because dessert can help just about any predicament. Thirdly and most importantly, it is a non-violent and amusing way to combat the struggles each of us are dealing with every day.  Of course, sheet-caking should not be utilized every day, but there are certainly times when a sheet cake or two are appropriate. If we are to accurately process what is happening around us and address our feelings rather than internalizing them, it will be necessary for individuals to find ways to adapt to the fast-paced world we inhabit.  So, if you are feeling overwhelmed and feel like you have tried everything, maybe you need to order a sheet-cake and follow Tina Fey’s example.  

Hey! I'm Raph. My spirit animal is a black lab and my least favorite color is yellow. I am a first year at Bates College and spend most of my free time reading outside or drinking coffee.
Elizah Laurenceau is a senior at Bates College. Her hobbies consist of rewatching Call Me By Your Name, using Huji to take pictures, and playing with her dog. She spends her days either glued on her computer or late nights finishing up work.